Poltergeist Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have 2 empty kegs and going to throw a quick brew in tommorrow before I go on holiday!

4kg MO Pale Malt
0.3 kg Crystal Malt
0.26kg Chocolate Malt

50 min mash @ 68 degrees
60 min boil

35g Fuggle 60 mins Edit was 55g of fuggles not got enough :shock:
20g E K Goldings 60 min
15g Fuggle 15 mins

Expected OG 1045
IBU 23.4
SRM 38

If this ferments down before friday It'll go into secondary for 10 days(holidays!) if not she's going to sit on the yeast for 16 days!

Will try to take pics but this is going to be a quick brew day!

Might I suggest either a reduction in mash temperature or an increase in mash time so that the alpha amylase has a chance to reduce some more of the dextrins otherwise you may end up with a rather high final gravity ;)

Right I'm off to put the Hlt on. TS I was following a recipe? Ok I'll up the time to 90mins that'll give me time to play with more stuff. Cheers

Great start turned the hlt elements on and all the trips blew after stripping down a lot of wiring found a extension lead wired neg to pos!!! it's four years old!! anyway mash is on!! first time I have used Chocolate malt and boy it smells great!!! more choclate to used in all recipes!!

Today is a fooking good day!!! Wife has just brought my present up the garage in her nightie!! forget the nightie the present was six bottles of Brew Dog's Tokyo Stout mmmmm all 18.2% of it!! Tonight i'm not going to be sober as were having some drinks with freinds :drunk: :drink:

Have a great brewday MD - let us know what the Brewdog Stout is like :thumb:

Well Good day had!

Grain bucket

GEDC0001.jpg

Unfinished Herms and general mess! Oh well work around it!

GEDC0002.jpg

Hops weighed out

GEDC0003.jpg

Mash Temp

GEDC0005.jpg

MMM presents!! Wife wouldn't pose with them sorry :( Something about being half naked?

GEDC0006.jpg

GEDC0007.jpg

First Runnings

GEDC0008.jpg

Sparging

GEDC0009.jpg

The boil

GEDC0010.jpg

Moody Wort shot

GEDC0011.jpg

Areation

GEDC0013.jpg

Final full FV

GEDC0014.jpg

Trub shot and close up!

GEDC0015.jpg

GEDC0016.jpg

Got 25ltr @ 1040 aimed at 23ltr @ 1045
Note to self shorter boil means less losses!!

Update on protofloc, used half a tablet stilll got nice clear wort but also didn't get the floating gunk in the FV , so from now on half tabs for me!!

Good call on the prot tabs,I always use just the half and it never fails to do the biz. :thumb:

I think that's what they recommend anyhow.

Well I kegged this today. she's stopped at 1014 was expecting 1012 so not too bad.
This is going to be a session porter indeed @3.5% abv, smells wonderfully spicy as well with the T-58 yeast, which is good stuff as it has ate it's sugar in 3 days flat and it's gets hotter than normal? in my temp controlled cupboard it has upped its temp by at least 4 degrees on it's own.
This isn't going to condition long I think 10 days and it'll be done which just gives me enough time to go on holiday!
Happy brewing folks!!!!!!!!!!
The sea is calling me.........

And yes I shall be brewing this on Sunday as well as Buzz Bee, Because Somebody can't drink this without necking the bottle and he "wants" to taste it :whistle:
I shall play with the grain bill slightly just to see If I can improve the Flavourings :thumb:
Again if anybody wants to call in and say hi your welcome to!

Would love to come MD, sadly your a bit away from me. PLEASE take lots of pics again and your comments on the tweaked grain bill :thumb:

Latest posts

Back