Possible stupid question re kegging

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
Right, forgive me if I am being a dafty here.... I poured a pint of lager the other day that was almost completely flat. Made me think perhaps I am not following correct protocol for keg operations....

So When I set for the carbing pressure I want ie for my lager about 25psi, then once its carbed up, reduce this to serving pressure.... Once I am finished drinking for the night should I then push the pressure back up on the basis that the beer and the headspace pressure will equalize resulting in less fizz?

Seems like a quite a bit of CO2 wastage this way, think I may need to move on quickly from the bulbs... Can somneone give me a crash course? I am currently working with dark farms kegs (10 and 5 l) and 16g CO2 bulbs as mentioned

So When I set for the carbing pressure I want ie for my lager about 25psi, then once its carbed up, reduce this to serving pressure....
I use 19L cornies and can only advise on my system but how long are you leaving it at 25Psi for to carb up? I usually set my system to 30Psi overnight and then turn it down to serving pressure and then leave it at serving pressure for the duration of the keg and it has always worked for me.

Right, forgive me if I am being a dafty here.... I poured a pint of lager the other day that was almost completely flat. Made me think perhaps I am not following correct protocol for keg operations....

So When I set for the carbing pressure I want ie for my lager about 25psi, then once its carbed up, reduce this to serving pressure.... Once I am finished drinking for the night should I then push the pressure back up on the basis that the beer and the headspace pressure will equalize resulting in less fizz?

Seems like a quite a bit of CO2 wastage this way, think I may need to move on quickly from the bulbs... Can somneone give me a crash course? I am currently working with dark farms kegs (10 and 5 l) and 16g CO2 bulbs as mentioned
I am assuming you're burst carbing?
To be honest, I prefer the "set and forget" method using the carbonation charts, where serving pressure and carbing pressure are one and the same. It also is less reliant on good luck with regards to getting the right level of carbonation.
All that said, worth mentioning that I am very new to cornies/force carbing, and also I do what works for me but recognise others prefer to do it differently (e.g. burst carbonation).

I use 19L cornies and can only advise on my system but how long are you leaving it at 25Psi for to carb up? I usually set my system to 30Psi overnight and then turn it down to serving pressure and then leave it at serving pressure for the duration of the keg and it has always worked for me.
And it stays fizzy?

Just realised, I'm at ambient temp here.... would I be right in saying that inhibits absorption?

I have a force carbing history of one brew so far so not sure how much help the following will be:

I use sodastream bottles and a 9.5l corny in a fridge kept at a steady 4 degrees C.
Burst carbed to 30psi, then topped it back to 30 after about 12 hours. After that I kept it topped up to about 10 psi for 9 or 10 days, by which point it was holding at 10psi.

Drank some yesterday, plenty of fizz to it an very please with my first venture into kegging. Bottled it off, so we’ll see how it fares as the next brew was ready to go into the keg!

Latest posts

Back