Post Brexit food standards,,,

Discussion in 'The Snug' started by Druncan, Jan 20, 2020.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jan 24, 2020 #161

MyQul

MyQul

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored Moderator

Sovereign. Never used those before

https://www.britishhops.org.uk/varieties/sovereign/

2. Jan 24, 2020 #162

the_quick

the_quick

the_quick

Regular. Supporting Member

I really hope it will all work our, but I'm sceptical. Especially seeing how referendum promises, about trade, melted away.

An Ankoù likes this.
  3. Jan 24, 2020 #163

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

Landlord.

What will happen will happen. What I'm really worried out is that the thugs and thickoes and wannabe neo-nasties will have a field day on 1st Feb, patriotically sending anybody with a funny accent back where they cum frum. I doubt these types can tell the difference between a Polish or German accent and a Welsh or Liverpudlian one. I wonder if police leave has been cancelled. Very much doubt it.

the_quick likes this.
  4. Jan 24, 2020 #164

MyQul

MyQul

MyQul

I dont see how it can work out well, seeing as though GDP has taken a hit because of brexit, we've almost already spent the same amount on BXT as 40 years worth of EU membership costs, lots of companies have moved parts or all f their companies to the EU (we usually hear about the very big companies but there loads of companies people havent even heard of that have moved), and we havent even left yet. So we're behind before we even start

Brew_DD2 and the_quick like this.
  5. Jan 24, 2020 #165

the_quick

the_quick

the_quick

Well that what affects me. I'm Polish, I do have now British citizenship, but my accent remain the same. So far no one was directky rude to me

GerritT and Brew_DD2 like this.
  6. Jan 24, 2020 #166

Rodcx500z

Rodcx500z

Rodcx500z

Landlord.

They were talking sanctions yesterday, feeding 500 million is a lot harder than feeding 65 million, its a mess if they weren't so pushey this would not have happened, google Kalergi

7. Jan 24, 2020 #167

the_quick

the_quick

the_quick

I fully agree, it doesn't look great already, but I really hope that with time it will be worked out. I was one to argue with Brexiters, but there is no point anymore, goverment who wanted to implement Brexit has won last election, hence I can't see the point of arguing againts it. But I still say, everybody still should keep eye on them and hold them to account.

Brew_DD2 likes this.
  8. Jan 24, 2020 #168

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

I give you the last line of "Galaxy Song" by Eric Idle which says "... and pray there's intelligent life somewhere out in space 'cos there's bugger all down here on earth!"

TBH I don't think our "Leaders" have a fecking clue ...

... and I pray that I am wrong!

GerritT and MyQul like this.
  9. Jan 24, 2020 #169

Rodcx500z

Rodcx500z

Rodcx500z

Landlord.

Why would we be rude to Polish people I have Polish friends they are great people and they know how to party athumb..acheers.

the_quick likes this.
  10. Jan 24, 2020 #170

MyQul

MyQul

MyQul

At this stage I dont think arguments will change anyones mind (afterall, BJ won on a 'get brexit done' ticket). Perhaps if people see that things aren't as rosey as politicians like Farage and Gove promised, they may change there mind. But tbh I dont think so because I dont think things will suddenly go from ok to horrendous. I think It'll be a case of the 'frog being boiled slowly' as we slowly and slide into decline

johncrobinson, An Ankoù and Brew_DD2 like this.
  11. Jan 24, 2020 #171

Brew_DD2

Brew_DD2

Brew_DD2

Mint Choc Chipster

We rely upon the EU for the vast majority of our fresh food. We won't starve, but it'll be back to tinned foods if it ever came to it. This narrative of them needing us more than we need them is as dangerous as it is stupid. Bluff and bravado is not a substitute to reality.

Dutto likes this.
  12. Jan 24, 2020 #172

MyQul

MyQul

MyQul

Sorry, I missed this. Are you saying UK politicians were threatening the EU with some sort of sanctions (tarriffs?). If they were, it's laughable. During the withdrawal agreement negotiations Priti Patel suggested the we starve Ireland into submission. Apart from the rather distateful notion, (given the history of Ireland and England) she was completely unaware that Ireland are a net exporter of food. This is the calibre of politician we have going into bat for us against seasoned EU negotiators who have to stand up to likes of hard nosed American and Chinese negotiators

GerritT likes this.
  13. Jan 24, 2020 #173

simon12

simon12

simon12

THBF Sponsor THBF Sponsor

I don't know how it would pan out but FTA with the US gives us a huge market to sell into and them a tiny one, we could do well selling non GM non hormone organic stuff to them at an over inflated price or we might not.

14. Jan 24, 2020 #174

MyQul

MyQul

MyQul

But why cant we sell them non GM organic stuff at an over inflated price now? Our market is tiny compared to theirs of course but it's still expansion for them at little to no cost.

Thats the thing about brexit. I'm unaware of anything we can do after we leave the EU that we cant do now, but we give ourselves massive disadvantages being out side the EU because were so small on our own

15. Jan 24, 2020 #175

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

THAT brought back a memory of my childhood in a small Derbyshire mining village.

The house next door to us was like a United Nations. A polish gentleman (Mr. Tomjack - I'm certain it was spelled very differently) was married to an Italian lady and they had a daughter (Josephine). They also had a White Russian (?) and a Ukrainian lodging with them; and Josephine, at age seven, could speak to all of them in their own language as well as speaking to us in English.

At a party one night, my Dad spilled a bottle of vodka over a plate of salami. Mum leapt in to clear up the mess and was told "No problem. We eat anyway." Dad sampled the salami, decided that it was more than nice and (himself a beer drinker) proceeded to eat it and drink the proffered vodka to wash it down.

The next morning was a repeat of the night he spent drinking Bass Red Label and yet again my Mum told Dad "You can go to work and die there 'cos your not missing work for a hangover."

Happy Days!

GerritT likes this.
  16. Jan 24, 2020 #176

the baron

the baron

the baron

Landlord.

French have had there day with wines I totally agree the new world AUS, NZ, SA, CHILE and ARGENTINA make better wines and at a decent price the French are still living in the past and have been overtaken. I think they may lose a large chunk of wine trade after the divorce as supermarkets will not stock overpriced stuff if they end up with Tit for Tat trade Tariffs

17. Jan 24, 2020 #177

Brianbrewed

Brianbrewed

Brianbrewed

18. Jan 24, 2020 #178

Druncan

Druncan

Druncan

Senior Moments

Didn't I create a nasty monster bad puppy here! and not a hop mentioned.

My advice, Just don't panic!

Nigel Farage (a duly elected MEP and cunning fascist f*ckwit) will sort it all out with his God Donald so we can all finally enjoy the freedom to be able to chose real value Chlorinated Chicken and Steroid induced Beef. Cheap GM grain for all brewers will then kill the malting industry.

Last one out, switch off the light and say Goodnight?

Dutto and Rodcx500z like this.
  19. Jan 24, 2020 #179

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

Beer designer

All the poles I know are honest hard workers. Please stay.

An Ankoù likes this.
  20. Jan 24, 2020 #180

Rodj

Rodj

Rodj

It seems to me, An Ankoù, that the whole point is that we did NOT vote for it. The 2016 referendum result has been totally misinterpreted, presumably by those who see their own (career) advantage lying in twisting it into giving them a cause célèbre. The 2016 referendum produced a vote to stay in the EU, not to leave it.

Draft saved Draft deleted