Potential Gas setup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've already got a 24L cool box and my existing 16L stock pot, which I could maybe use for sparge water. It'll do me fine for just now... Still got a lot of learning to do :cheers:

I'm quite new to this AG business with about 7 brews done, but last time I did the sparge in my FV with 8 kettles of hot water (it was boiling) but by the time I got about 12 litres in it was 80C). It was really easy that way. Previously I had been sparging in my 12l pot, and once I ran off the first runnings from the boiler into the pot, and then heated about a dozen or fifteen litres in the boiler and sparged in that. None of the earlier ways were as good as just boiling kettles and emptying them into the FV, starting about twenty five minutes before the end of the mash. I dumped in the bag of grains, and turned up the boiler to take the mashed wort up towards the boil while I was sparging the bag in the FV. I stirred the grains and soon had some pretty decent wort in there. I hit way over the target OG this way. After about ten minutes I emptied the sparge runnings into the boiler with the rest and away we went. It was quick and effective. This is certainly the way to go for me given my limited equipment.

20150726_130457.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for the record and contrary to what some of the reviews say over at Amazon... it's not 30L to the maximum mark (3cm from the top), its 27L. It is, however, 30L right to the brim itself so is a 30L pot.

I measured it carefully and used an online calculator to verify.

Yes but they are all like that no? all 30 l pot but you wouldn't want to boil much more than 25-26 in them... thats why you cannot do true full biab with them (not that it matters as you can sparge or whatnot)

You can buy 50liter pots with elements in though I seen.

I use a 50l pot on that gas ring and it works a treat for my BIAB.

Yes I am very pleased with this setup although only one brew down so far..

Going to be doing my second in the next few weeks. Still not sold on where exactly to put the burner, I see you do yours just inside your double doors.. I may try this in my conservatory on a test boil just to see

Yeah I pull table to doors and open them. Works for me. Not fancied doing it outdoor fully I can guarantee a passing bird would knowing my like take a pot shot in it!!

Back