Pouring beer from a keg and CO2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floodster

Reaction score
Hey guys,

May seem like a daft question but I have searched the forum and can't seem to find an answer for it.

How often do you generally inject a keg with CO2?

The reason I am asking is that I have just started to use a bottom tap king keg with a fine Woodfords Wherry in it and although when I first started there seemed to be plenty of CO2 I seem to be having to replenish every 4 to 5 pints even though I am slowly pouring a pint. Is this normal?

I generally go through a CO 2 bulb once every 5 to 7 pints so i would say its normal. They don't hold much gas for there price.

Look into getting an S30 cylinder. You just screw it onto the top of your keg and twist it for a second or so when you need to top up the gas. Also much more cost effective.

NOTE: to use the S30 cylinders you need an S30 valve. The valve used with the CO2 bulbs is different.

I have a KK with top tap and the natural CO2 pressure will last for about half the keg then I give it two or three blasts from the cyclinder that will then last for roughtly the five pints mentioned.

I prime with 120g white sugar which is a bit more than the 80g generally recommended. This gives a good foamy head with plenty of bubbles sticking to the glass.

Latest posts

Back