Pressure barrel and tap help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BROADE

Reaction score
Hi they I have looked through about half a dozen threads. And can't get a clear answer. I want to move away from bottles and get a pressure barrel. I would like to know. Once I have racked of and added to pb. Can I get some pipe and connect it to a standard hand tap I got from a pub. If so what would I need. And how to go about it. Or would pressure in barrel just come through tap as normal. If I keep injecting co2.. I not got barrel yet. Hand tap I have in bar is founders all day ipa.

I imagine unless you have a regulator to keep pressure constant, you'd struggle with inconsitent flow from the tap. I was going to do something similar, but didn't get anywhere close to hooking the thing up as the pressure barrel I bought had a pinhole leak. I then bought a corny, and, well, I now have a full CO2 + keg setup - it's a slippery slope...
Also, I fall in to the category of people who will say "Don't waste your money on a pressure barrel!"

Last edited:
If you haven't bought a plastic pressure barrel yet and you want to dispense through a beer tap I'd agree with @AnimatedGIF and advise going down the corny Keg route. I'm a King Keg user and am in the process of connecting a tap. Yet to prove it works. Not entirely straight forward.
IMG_20201001_115402272.jpg

Last edited:
Before anyone buys a PB they should read through these
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/whats-your-view-on-plastic-pressure-barrels-pbs.88283https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...ls-or-bottles-for-your-home-brewed-beer.88284Opinion is more or less divided on whether they are a wise investment, their main faults being they can leak under pressure, or need a lot of attention to make them work as they should. And the basic PBs seem to be less reliable than King Kegs but a that's probably because they cost less. But when they work properly they are really convenient

I bought another in wilkos today so i now have 3 wilko and 1 youngs, the one i bought today has the round profile o ring in the lid will swap that for the square one which i think are better at making a proper seal but thats just my opinion they have a larger surface area and don't deform as much

I bought another in wilkos today so i now have 3 wilko and 1 youngs, the one i bought today has the round profile o ring in the lid will swap that for the square one which i think are better at making a proper seal but thats just my opinion they have a larger surface area and don't deform as much
I have never had a lot of trouble with the PB tops that seal on a fat ‘O’ ring, apart from one that one of the locating ribs had come off. This picture shows the offending item, and a typical failure on one of the modern tops.

IMG_1278.JPG

I don’t know whether it is well known, but they altered the thread slightly at some point. The give-away is the width of the inner land of the thread, marked in black, the wider one being the earlier type. They are interchangeable after a fashion, but if a top seems tight or wobbly that’s the reason.

IMG_1277.JPG

Latest posts

Back