Pressure Barrels?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy O'Leary

Reaction score
Ok, I have the bug for brewing.

So have organised a load of bottles from a mate to start bottling up current batch at the weekend, and am going to start another batch at same time. Realistically, I think I am going to need a pressure barrel also as this will help to reduce the amount of bottles the missus is going to moan about. The problems I see with the barrel is at some stage you need to put into the fridge to cool beer, will an average barrel fit in an average fridge (I have a spare in the summer house that isn't being used it's a samsung combi fridge at top and freezer at bottom, don't know model number). How well do they keep pressure? Seen videos about leaks are some worse than others. What barrels could you recommend? Any tips about barrels appreciated.

My two PB's fit into both fridges so "Yes" - but it only takes seconds to get out a tape measure to be sure!

The problem with leaks is that they can happen for a variety of reasons, but the main one is that they are not checked before they are sold!

As a result, I suggest that when you buy your PB:
  • You take the time and trouble to check out the main seal at the top and if it feels rough then take a flat file and gently take away the roughness.
  • Then put a smear of Vaseline on the "O" ring in the cap and on the threads. The Vaseline serves three purposes:
    • It keeps the "O" ring in place.
    • It lubricates the cap thread.
    • It seals any tiny gaps that may occur between the Cap and the PB.
There are three other places where a PB can leak. They are:
  • Two seals that:
    • Stop the CO2 from escaping. (A non-return seal that is inside the fitting on the Cap.) This may become perished or be displaced when injecting CO2 .
    • Release CO2 when the PB is at maximum pressure. (A pressure-relief fitting on the outside of the Cap.) Again, it may become perished.
  • The Tap which may become damaged or may require dismantling and cleaning.
I can recommend the King Keg Top-Tap. Mine has been giving excellent service for over three years now.

Andy O, I have a King Keg top tap for sale if you're interested. It has a Ballihoo cap with CO2 injector and pressure indicator. It is a used barrel but I have done the fettling required to get a proper seal and have used it with success. I just don't get through the contents quick enough so am sticking to bottles.

Depending where you are we can maybe sort something out.

Andy O, I have a King Keg top tap for sale if you're interested. It has a Ballihoo cap with CO2 injector and pressure indicator. It is a used barrel but I have done the fettling required to get a proper seal and have used it with success. I just don't get through the contents quick enough so am sticking to bottles.

Depending where you are we can maybe sort something out.
Thanks, living in southend a bit far from you. I also noticed Wilco do one, I need to pick up next batch and might just buy barrel when im there

My two PB's fit into both fridges so "Yes" - but it only takes seconds to get out a tape measure to be sure!

The problem with leaks is that they can happen for a variety of reasons, but the main one is that they are not checked before they are sold!

As a result, I suggest that when you buy your PB:
  • You take the time and trouble to check out the main seal at the top and if it feels rough then take a flat file and gently take away the roughness.
  • Then put a smear of Vaseline on the "O" ring in the cap and on the threads. The Vaseline serves three purposes:
    • It keeps the "O" ring in place.
    • It lubricates the cap thread.
    • It seals any tiny gaps that may occur between the Cap and the PB.
There are three other places where a PB can leak. They are:
  • Two seals that:
    • Stop the CO2 from escaping. (A non-return seal that is inside the fitting on the Cap.) This may become perished or be displaced when injecting CO2 .
    • Release CO2 when the PB is at maximum pressure. (A pressure-relief fitting on the outside of the Cap.) Again, it may become perished.
  • The Tap which may become damaged or may require dismantling and cleaning.
I can recommend the King Keg Top-Tap. Mine has been giving excellent service for over three years now.

Thanks, I've never got on with mine so I'll give those pointers a go.

Thanks, living in southend a bit far from you. I also noticed Wilco do one, I need to pick up next batch and might just buy barrel when im there
Southend is a bit far, anyone else interested? The barrel is second hand but I bought the cap new as I wanted the benefit of being able to test the pressure, knowing that barrels are prone to leaks, and to be able to top up if necessary.

Good luck with the new hobby.

I have a Wilco Keg. They are great value for money, but (for me) they have two minor drawbacks:
  1. The take-off tap is so high that I lose up to 2 litres of brew every time I use it.
  2. The bottom bells out and acts like a "Kelly Doll" when under pressure.
It's still good value for money though!

Andy, I'd hang off the bressure barrel for a short while if it were me, or choose wiesely.
If you've not already seen the post, Hambleton Bard have discontinued the S30 CO2 refill.
This has been widely used and accepted for 30 years or more, if you were to go out and purchase a barrel, you may unwittingly buy one with an S30 and then it be rendered useless.

.......... with an S30 and then it be rendered useless.

Whoa there hoss!!

The S30 is a method of putting CO2 into a cylinder and it can be used with any 8g CO2 capsule. Here is a link that may help anyone who thinks that the Hambleton Bard S30 Refill is a requirement.

https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/S30-8g-Bulb-Holder-With-Stainless-Insert.html#SID=195

I've been using one like this and other plastic ones for well over 30 years and have never owned a Hamilton Bard Refill.

I'm inferring that he may go out and buy a barrel, and unwittingly shell out another £25 for an S30 bottle, only for the bottle to be defunct once it's empty.

I went to Wilko yesterday and couldn't resist, purchased their Barrel. I was hoping to purchase the little gas canisters also, but couldn't find an attachment, do Wilko normally sell this s30 attachment? I couldn't see one.

I've got one of the current Wilko barrels. Seems to work ok - cap seals well if you tighten it well, and the tap doesn't foam too badly when you draw off beer like some of them do. It does drip a little when it's at full pressure though so I always have to have a dish or something under it.

@keat64 asked "Incidentally, how many squirts do you get from an 8g bullet."

The answer is "Not enough." which is why I have now fitted all my PB's (2 x 25 litre and 2 x 10 litre) with Schrader Valves and use the same Sodastream CO2 system that I use on my Growlers.

I top up the PB's as and when required using the length of tubing and a modified bike pump shown in the photograph.

PB with CO2.jpg

The "How many 8g CO2 capsules used?" is dependant on what is in the barrel to begin with and how "gassy" you want your brew.

Personally, I like a highly carbonated brew but I have still used up to 4 capsules before the 23 litres in a KK were dispensed.

However, back in 2017 I took a KK to the south of France where I think ...
  • The increase in temperature. and
  • The brew hadn't quite finished fermenting.
... were the reasons why I managed to take all 23 litres out of the barrel, at a rate of 1 litre per day, without using a single CO2 capsule!

Happy Days!

I went to Wilko yesterday and couldn't resist, purchased their Barrel. I was hoping to purchase the little gas canisters also, but couldn't find an attachment, do Wilko normally sell this s30 attachment? I couldn't see one.

Apparently not because it's not listed on their website.

I managed to ruin the threads on the three plastic ones that I had so I opted for the metal one shown in the above link.

As regards the bullet.
I'm guessing this needs to be punctured and it's a one shot then chuck it away. ?

None of my S30 valves have a pin up the middle, all of them have a chamfrered bottom, so what punctures the bullet.

I can't see how the adaptor and bullets would work for my setup.

@keat64
If its any help on standard plastic PBs there are two sorts of injection nozzles, and both have the same male thread into which either the S30 cylinder or the CO2 bulb holder is located . The major difference is that the CO2 bulb injector is fitted with a barbed tubular pin which punctures the bulb as it is screwed down which then discharges the bulb. The s30 injectors don't have the pin.
If you look at online at suppliers who sell replacement caps and valves you should find photos which cover what I have said.

Latest posts

Back