Pressure Fermentation Easy Guide

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi David. I recently watched your video on pressure fermenting and it really got me interested! So... after too many oxidised hoppy brews, I'm converting a corny to a pressure fermenter this weekend. I can't wait to brew my first batch. I'm struggling a bit to find information on what sort of temps are realistic, the consensus seems warmer than normal....I'm planning a session IPA using imperial flagship (chico? ) Have you, or anyone else here got any tips with this yeast? Psi? Temps? Any insight would be really appreciated!!

Cheers 🍻
Great to hear.
Within my channels FB group we have been collecting data from members about pressure fermentation levels tried and tested.
We have data for Fermentis US-05 which is also the Chico strain. The ranges that have been successful so far are as follows:-
Temperature 20-28C
Pressure 10-27 PSI
The chico strain works well under pressure within these levels for a nice clean result.
I hope this helps :)

Great to hear.
Within my channels FB group we have been collecting data from members about pressure fermentation levels tried and tested.
We have data for Fermentis US-05 which is also the Chico strain. The ranges that have been successful so far are as follows:-
Temperature 20-28C
Pressure 10-27 PSI
The chico strain works well under pressure within these levels for a nice clean result.
I hope this helps :)

Thanks David, that's really helpful, does 12.5PSI at 23C (ramping to 25C) sound like a good place to start? Do you plan to publish your data on this subject? It sounds really interesting!

For pressure fermenting I use a 10L aspirator bottle (which is similar to a water carrier used for camping but more rigid) with its tap removed (I replaced the tap with a blanking plug).

For the pressure relief valve I used a pressure relief valve from an autoclave (basically a fancy pressure cooker) we were throwing out at work, which was fitted into the lid of the aspirator along with a car tyre valve (in case I wanted to pressurize the aspirator with CO2).

On the autoclave the pressure relief valve would have kicked in at way too high a pressure to be safely used for fermenting but luckily I was able to disassemble it & exchange the spring inside for a more lightweight one, which operated at around 15psi.

Having the car tyre valve fitted to the autoclave lid also enables me to check the pressure of the vessel using a car/bike tyre pressure tester.

The operation of the pressure relief valve is fairly simple. A spring/weight loaded plug is displaced once the activation pressure is reached, so I'm sure other pressure relief valves used in heating could be adapted for pressure fermenting.

Back