Pressure fermenting gravity readings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, a quick google search and a search of this forum hasn’t thrown up much on this topic, so it’s probably such an obvious question I’m the only one needing to ask it but....

How do people who pressure ferment take gravity readings during fermentation?

Does the fact it’s carbonated impact the reading? Do you wait for the sample to degas, if so how long does that take and when do you know it’s happened?

Or does it make no difference at all?

1,000 thank yous for this and all the other info I’ve gleaned from this forum whilst silently lurking.

Picnic tap connected to the out post. Take a sample into a plastic PET bottle and shake vigorously to remove the CO2 ( you may need to do this a few time and then let it settle). Pour it into the sample jar to take the SG.

I use a refractometer along with the corrective calibrations, would the carbonation affect the reading taken with this. Would i have to try and degas the sample first?

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it’s not much of an issue, my hydrometer came with a kit years ago so I doubt it’s especially sensitive.

No idea I’m afraid @private4587 on the refractometer question.

My new ispindel tells me when it is done.
https://brewspy.app/share/poocttneth0th340fvd3clj7bh
Then I can take an accurate reading at packaging time of I can be bothered.

But otherwise, as above, picnic tap on output post. I doubt any hydrometer I own would be accurate enough to be affected by carbonation.

cheers, iSpindel certainly looks interesting but investing in kegs and all the associated gubbins is already swelling my budget deficit.

Latest posts

Back