Pressure Fermenting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoffinthewilds

Regular.
Reaction score
While I'm waiting for my bits for the Kegerator build to turn up, I have been having a look at dipping my toe in the water with Pressure fermenting such as the Fermzilla, I'm sure I have read on the net that you can do it in a corny keg by cutting 20mm off the drop tube or whatever its called. One thing I do know is if I go down this route I would like a Stainless Steel Pressure Fermentor rather than a PET one like the Fermzilla for longevity so any advice please pros and cons etc

I have previously fermented in cornys (and am currently rebuilding my set up to do so again) and it’s brilliant. The only downside is that you can’t ferment a full batch at once. Im working around this by no-chilling and then fermenting 15L at a time.

I preferred a corny to the fermzilla for many reasons. It’s cheaper, it’s more robust, the keg can be repurposed back to a keg if you later decide you don’t like it but with a fermzilla you’re stuck with a fermzilla.

There is a product called a Kegmenter from KegLand which looks really good, but you have to buy an extra lid for it and it works out quite expensive compared to a corny. Here’s a link to a video with a bit more info:

One tip - rather than cutting the dip tube shorter on your corny, switch the beer tube for a gas tube, then put a floating dip tube on the end. It’s easier than hacking bits off your keg, and it filters the clear beer off the top of your fermenter rather than sucking up trub from the bottom. I use this one which is great as it has an inbuilt filter:

https://caskwidge.com/Parts/Product/17

While I'm waiting for my bits for the Kegerator build to turn up, I have been having a look at dipping my toe in the water with Pressure fermenting such as the Fermzilla, I'm sure I have read on the net that you can do it in a corny keg by cutting 20mm off the drop tube or whatever its called. One thing I do know is if I go down this route I would like a Stainless Steel Pressure Fermentor rather than a PET one like the Fermzilla for longevity so any advice please pros and cons etc
My advice, don't bother unless you are doing it to carb the beer up at the end of fermentation.
Remove the dip tube from the keg make or buy a floating dip tube, and give it a go.
Read up on Teri Fahrendorf, she wrote a good article about why, and how to make a pressure fermentor.

I have previously fermented in cornys (and am currently rebuilding my set up to do so again) and it’s brilliant. The only downside is that you can’t ferment a full batch at once. Im working around this by no-chilling and then fermenting 15L at a time.

I preferred a corny to the fermzilla for many reasons. It’s cheaper, it’s more robust, the keg can be repurposed back to a keg if you later decide you don’t like it but with a fermzilla you’re stuck with a fermzilla.

There is a product called a Kegmenter from KegLand which looks really good, but you have to buy an extra lid for it and it works out quite expensive compared to a corny. Here’s a link to a video with a bit more info:

One tip - rather than cutting the dip tube shorter on your corny, switch the beer tube for a gas tube, then put a floating dip tube on the end. It’s easier than hacking bits off your keg, and it filters the clear beer off the top of your fermenter rather than sucking up trub from the bottom. I use this one which is great as it has an inbuilt filter:

Thanks Session and foxy for your replies some good tips there, will convert a Corny and give it a go with the floating dip tube and see how it works out, will report back once done

As @foxy mentioned, pressure fermenting really shines when spunding. I’d recommend the BlowTie spunding valve from Kegland, but would advise getting the V1 unit as opposed to the V2 unit. The V2 has a built-in pressure gauge and whilst it looks nice and neat, the accuracy of the gauge is very poor.

I wrote up an entire thread on just this subject a couple of weeks ago. Find it >here<.

It was very much an "in development" post, but was so successful I've got a second batch planned. Flexible floating beer extractors are definitely the way to go, but connecting the flexible silicon tube directly to the (short) dip-tube isn't too good 'cos after a year or so they do accumulate difficult to clean out gunk so I devised a way of making them easily removeable for cleaning (the advantage of steel dip-tubes is you can't see the gunk accumulating!).

I wrote up an entire thread on just this subject a couple of weeks ago. Find it >here<.

It was very much an "in development" post, but was so successful I've got a second batch planned. Flexible floating beer extractors are definitely the way to go, but connecting the flexible silicon tube directly to the (short) dip-tube isn't too good 'cos after a year or so they do accumulate difficult to clean out gunk so I devised a way of making them easily removeable for cleaning (the advantage of steel dip-tubes is you can't see the gunk accumulating!).

Hi peebee, always good to hear from the homelands, wonder what part of North Wales your in?. I will have a look at your write up so thanks for the link

Hi peebee, always good to hear from the homelands, wonder what part of North Wales your in?. I will have a look at your write up so thanks for the link
Upper Dee, near Bala. I was in your neck of woods for a good while: 'tween Dyce and Hatton-of-Fintray.

Im originally from the village of Coedpoeth near Wrexham, we also used to run the Yew Tree Inn in Gresford and very nearly took over the Goat Hotel in Bala, small world eh. I moved up here as I work in Oil & Gas, but typical I look after a lot of the Navy ships so now even further away from Portsmouth :-) and I work in Dyce, well untilo this virus struck, stay safe

Echo this on the floating dip connected to an extra gas tube. Really easy to connect and gives super clear beer served straight or into your second corny

You will shortly be able to get a Junior King which is a 20 litre PET keg for fermenting and drinking from the floating dip tube comes with it as do the gas and liquid posts.
Pet is fine as long as you protect it from UV and cheap to replace so in the long run cheaper than S/Steel fermenter.

… Pet is fine as long as you protect it from UV and cheap to replace so in the long run cheaper than S/Steel fermenter.
Don't forget you can't get PET too hot either. I've read somethings that say 50C is too hot, but that seems a bit extreme? However, fill PET containers with water at 60C and you are asking for trouble.

PET doesn't melt at these temperatures, but undergoes some sort of irreversible structural change. But it looks like melting, so what the hell.

The 20L "Junior" looks interesting. I'll keep me eye out for them.

Don't forget you can't get PET too hot either. I've read somethings that say 50C is too hot, but that seems a bit extreme? However, fill PET containers with water at 60C and you are asking for trouble.

PET doesn't melt at these temperatures, but undergoes some sort of irreversible structural change. But it looks like melting, so what the hell.

The 20L "Junior" looks interesting. I'll keep me eye out for them.
The PET used as fermenters are about 40 C temperature rating, but there is hot fill PET, which goes a lot higher generally used for fruit juice.

Latest posts

Back