Pressurising a King Keg....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbrew

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just a quick question (sorry if this has come up before), if I was to rack a brew into a King Keg and not add any sugar for carbonation and only added co2 via the co2 bulbs, would my beer carbonate over time? Maybe id have to re-pressurise a few times but am I right in thinking it would carbonate eventually?

Cheers!

Fill it with c02 then purge the release valve a couple of times to remove any air above the brew then carbonate, shake then carbonate....I'd do this about 3 - 4 times, this will allow the brew to absorb the c02 quickly (forced carbonation)

BB

Sounds good thanks for the help! Any ideas what kind of pressure it takes to carbonate beer? I was thinking about tapping a simple pressure gauge onto my King Keg just to monitor the pressure so I know when to top up the co2...

You will only get a very light carbonation as I believe that the release valves are set to a maximum of 10PSI, should be enough for bitter though, especially if you can carbonate it somewhere cold.

Hi irishbrew, had the same idea myself I have a basic 5 gallon pressure barrel with a S30 pin valve fitted on the small 2 inch cap, I fitted a car wheel valve to the barrel to keep an eye on pressure just push on a psi gauge to get a reading I think the max psi is 15, the barrel works great using priming sugar but was gonna try using a few Co2 bulb's for carbonation, I over primed once and the bottom of the barrel swelled out quite a bit I had no Idea what kinda pressure was in there that is why I fitted the car valve the only thing I could do was tilt the barrel rite back and open the tap to let some Co2 out, I can purge the barrel with the car valve and also chill the brew before I add any Co2 bulb's, if you have tried it can you let me know how it worked out... I am gonna try it on my next brew. thanks

Latest posts

Back