price of Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growler

Regular.
Reaction score
I have been looking for somewhere to get all my ingredients from

having only used one site so far I have noticed that there is a HUGE difference in the price of hops

we are talking several quid not pence

now I know the old adage "you get what you pay for" but is it worth risking it?

I dont want to upset any one so will not mention site names but they are well known sites which have been mentioned on here before

Often the places selling the pricey hops are the ones selling repackaged brupaks hops, usually from a couple of seasons ago. Who would pay £4 for a pack of Cascade when you can get them for 2.50? Consider the wholesale price for Cascade is £6.95 for a kilo (for a 5kg pack min) then decide if you're getting a fair price. Shops also pay tax and overheads but not THAT much!

Check the date, check they're vacuum packed and you're fine. For about a year not long ago no HB shops were vac packing their own hops from Farams so 6 quid for 100g of hops was the norm. Luckily a few newer retailers knew a bit of basic economics and started selling the same hops at more reasonable prices.

one site has challenger for £4.50 per 100g 2008 crop 5.1% alpha

the other £2.31 per 100g 2009 crop 6.65% alpha

both a vac packed price aside which is best

I would just assume that the 2009 crop would be better as its not as old as the others but still 2 years old!!!

evanvine said:
Choose an outlet you trust, rather than the price.
You shouldn't be far adrift by using the Forum sponsors!

That sounds a very good idea to me.

Growler said:

I would just assume that the 2009 crop would be better as its not as old as the others but still 2 years old!!!

This should be obvious.

Look for the most recent crop. You won't find 2011 hops until the end of the year.

Also, most of the UK hops are 2009 harvest. The Whole seller will not sell 2010 till they have gone.

rob

mysterio said:
Growler said:

This should be obvious.

Look for the most recent crop.

The youngest may not be the best. Hops will be like anyother crop and will have good years and bad. If they are stored correctly there shoud be little or no difference between 2008/09/10.

This may be not what you want to know Growler, but growing your own is not ony a damn sight cheaper, they are very much superior.
I planted in 2009, so 2010 was their first real season.
They produced enough for one brew, got to be the best brew I've ever made.
Expecting ten fold this season and next season they should be fully producing.

unless they can grow through slabs and concrete I have no where to grow them

I don't do gardening really just occasionally hack at the front grass (well its mostly green so I call it grass) :D

Latest posts

Back