primary / secondary fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caitlintilt

Reaction score
Hey y'all :) I'm sure this is a very obvious question to many of you, but what is the significance of a primary fermentation in a bucket? Because so far for me putting all the juice e.t.c. into a demijohn and attatching an airlock has worked just fine, but I'm now branching out into making more wines from raw fruit and I was wondering if doing this aerobic fermentation first changes the taste or something? I know the CO2 can form a blanket and therefore effectively an airlock, but lots of recipies call for stirring. Or is the bucket just because pieces of fruit are difficult to get into a demijohn and they ideally need more than a quick soacking to get the flavour out. Thanks whoever replies!

The primary fermentation is often done in the bucket for several reasons, but the main two are volume and stirring,

The volume of the must in the bucket is often more than would fit into a demijohn, because of all the fruit pulp that will eventually be removed. For example, 3 gallons of rosehip wine actually takes up over 4 gallons of space (i.e. more than my 3.5 gallon fermenting bin, which caused me some problems before I found an alternative!). It's is also much easier to clean out a bucket than a DJ. Wines based purely on juice usually go straight into the DJ because volume isn't as much of an issue - you won't be taking anything out, only topping up after a week or so.

Stirring is important because of oxygen. During the initial fermentation you have to get as much oxygen as possible into the must, and the CO2 blanket prevents oxygen getting to the yeast so stirring is your simplest option. It's only after the secondary fermentation has begun that excluding oxygen is important, to prevent oxidation. It's much easier to stir the must if it's in a bucket than in a DJ.

(And if any of that makes sense it's a miracle. This prosecco may only be 11%, but it's gone for my brain like a sidewinder missile after a MiG's heat-trail :drunk: )

Prosecco! I do approve :D you are fully forgiven. Why is it important to get oxygen in during the initial fermentation though? Thankyou

Yeast needs oxygen initially so it can multiply quickly. Once this stage has passed the yeast can concentrate on the business of converting Sugar to CO2 and alcohol.

So this stage can be viably missed out, fermentation will just be slow off the mark? Sorry to keep asking questions, I want to thoroughly understand the process of brewing out of interest, as well as being able to make great drinks :-) to me it's a intriguing puzzle that I love to ponder and investigate, the possibilities genuinely keep me up at night :-)

Tim_Crowhurst said:
The primary fermentation is often done in the bucket for several reasons, but the main two are volume and stirring,

The volume of the must in the bucket is often more than would fit into a demijohn, because of all the fruit pulp that will eventually be removed. For example, 3 gallons of rosehip wine actually takes up over 4 gallons of space (i.e. more than my 3.5 gallon fermenting bin, which caused me some problems before I found an alternative!). It's is also much easier to clean out a bucket than a DJ. Wines based purely on juice usually go straight into the DJ because volume isn't as much of an issue - you won't be taking anything out, only topping up after a week or so.

Stirring is important because of oxygen. During the initial fermentation you have to get as much oxygen as possible into the must, and the CO2 blanket prevents oxygen getting to the yeast so stirring is your simplest option. It's only after the secondary fermentation has begun that excluding oxygen is important, to prevent oxidation. It's much easier to stir the must if it's in a bucket than in a DJ.

(And if any of that makes sense it's a miracle. This prosecco may only be 11%, but it's gone for my brain like a sidewinder missile after a MiG's heat-trail :drunk: )

Do you have a recipe for the prosecco?

I second that :L Prosecco is a winner at any time of the day (best drunk in the morning on birthdays) :drink:

drewlincs said:
Tim_Crowhurst said:

Do you have a recipe for the prosecco?

Sorry, no - it was real Veneto prosecco.

I have decided that I will turn some of the rose-petal wine into a sparkling wine though. I'll have to remember to let you know if it works.

Back