priming a stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stigman

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just about ready to bottle my second kit. First was bulldog double IPA which I primed with one 5ml teaspoon per bottle of dextrose. That turned out nicely carbonated for the style. But now ready to bottle there Easter brew chocolate stout, which came with identical instructions, I was thinking I should add half spoon this time as obviously don't want an overly fizzy stout.
Second issue I have is, I wanted to batch prime in a bottling bucket this time but don't have any scales to weigh out my dextrose. Does anybody know how much 5ml of dextrose weighs?

Beersmith gives 4.6g/l for sugar to give 2 volumes with is in the middle of the range for a stout.

Assuming you've made the kit to ~23L I'd go with 80g dextrose total to batch prime a stout. I weigh it into a big mug and chuck on as much boiling water as it needs to dissolve. Stick it in your bottling bucket and rack the beer on top to mix.

Thanks for the replies chaps, just done a bit of googling and apparently one 5ml spoon= 4.5grams of sucrose and 3.4grams of dextrose/glucose. Now just haven to decide how much to batch prime my 23 litres with.

Just noticed you mentioned you haven't got any scales. Bearing in mind normal kitchen scales would do the trick for this?

Basically you've got 3 options without scales: stick 1/2 teaspoon in each bottle, measure out 20 teaspoons and dissolve in water to batch prime or get 2 identical mugs/bowls stick 80ml water in one and add dextrose to the other until they are equal by feel or you can bodge a scales some how to compare. Obviously the last method relies on you being able to measure 80ml accurately.

Personally I'd probably go with the 20 teaspoons. As it's a stout I'd probably go a bit below the average suggested figure. If you're not getting as much head as you'd like (giggity) you can just pour a bit more aggressively.

Edit: by suggested figure I mean from a priming calculator. If you Google it loads will come up. They suggest priming rates for different styles and adjust for what your priming with (dextrose, sucrose, malt extract etc).

Last edited:
Am I able to batch prime in my bottling bucket now then bottle tommorow? It's getting a bit late now, and I've polished of 4 bottles of my evil dog so getting a bit tired now. But still not finished sanitizing my bottles yet

I would leave it til tomorrow, the yeast will turn some of the sugar to co2 overnight and might affect your bottles carbing up.

Back