Priming cold beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spike101uk

Regular.
Reaction score
So I racked off my beer into a secondary corny keg and put in a 10c fridge to cold crash

I plan to batch prime then bottle straight away from keg but it's still in the fridge, will it be ok to batch prime then bottle whilst still cold then leave at room temp for 2 weeks or shall I take beer out and bring to room temp before batch priming and bottling

Yeah you will be fine, the yeast should "wake up" once the bottles come up to a decent temp. You might have to leave a bit longer to carb as you will have lost the bulk of the yeast during the cold crash though but it will get there eventually.

Do I have to add less priming sugar, I'm reading a lot saying I do due to absorbed co2 in headspace, But it's only been in fridge for 1 day so presumably hasn't absorbed that much?

Treat the beer as normal. 10c is not very cold, i prime my lager with 1tsp per bottle when its around 0c.

As beer cat says, when I lager it can be down to about 2 degrees and just normally batch prime

If you are using a priming calculator and entering the temperature of your brew you enter the temperature it fermented at (when the bulk of the CO2 was being produced) so if you fermented at 19°C thats the temp you enter into the calculator (not the 10°C your beer is at for crashing).

If you are using a priming calculator and entering the temperature of your brew you enter the temperature it fermented at (when the bulk of the CO2 was being produced) so if you fermented at 19°C thats the temp you enter into the calculator (not the 10°C your beer is at for crashing).

It's an interesting point and one it would be good to get to the bottom of. I use the brewers friend priming calculator and get mixed results when cold crashing, this is what brewers friend says:

* Temperature of Beer used for computing dissolved CO2:
The beer you are about to package already contains some CO2 since it is a naturally occurring byproduct of fermentation. The amount is temperature dependent. The temperature to enter is usually the fermentation temperature of the beer, but might also be the current temperature of the beer. If the fermentation temperature and the current beer temperature are the same life is simple.

However, if the beer was cold crashed, or put through a diacetyl rest, or the temperature changed for some other reason... you will need to use your judgment to decide which temperature is most representative. During cold crashing, some of the CO2 in the head space will go back into the beer. If you cold crashed for a very long time this may represent a significant increase in dissolved CO2. There is a lot of online debate about this and the internet is thin on concrete answers backed by research. We are open to improving the calculator so please let us know of any sources that clarify this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back