Priming solution?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suffolkbeer

Regular.
Reaction score
I’m clear on how to calculate the amount of sugar I need for batch priming and until now have always added this dry into bottling bucket, then racked beer onto it.

I’d like to try and add the priming in the same way but as a solution.
How much water should I mix say 100g of dextrose with to make a priming solution? I’m not keen on adding loads of water at this stage as I don’t want to affect the beer profile too much.......

Agree with @Brew_DD2. Just enough to not turn to syrup while you're boiling it. 100ml sounds about right though I never measure it.

As noted above, a 1:1 ratio will be fine. Not that 50ml will make a jot of difference, but if for whatever reason you really want to keep the water to a minimum, normal white sugar will dissolve at 2 parts sugar to 1 part boiling water with a bit of stirring.

I use 300-400ml bottled water with 160g sugar. once dissolved and brought to the boil. This mixes in well with no stirring when racking on top of the solution in my bottling bucket. Note that I brew a couple of litres short, my batch size being 21 litres rather than say 25. So in effect it's not really being watered down.

If worried about dilution of flavour, brew your recipe shorter by the amount of water you'd use in your priming solution. :thumb:

Back