Priming sugar......am i being stupid?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrightBrew

Reaction score
I have up to now only ever used coopers priming drops for priming, and have been having some great success. However, I have some unusual size bottles (275ml) and therefore need to use less than one drop. So....I will prime with sugar.

In my naivety I assumed there was such a thing as 'priming sugar' (labelled as such) but after looking around online I am stuggling to find it and am now wondering if it is the same as brewing sugar (which i have plenty of).............or am i missing something here? I feel stupid for asking but I'm not gonna find out if I don't ask :?

Cheers.

No such thing as a stupid question :thumb:

Priming sugar can be any kind of fermentable sugar. Brewing sugar would work but granulated/caster sugar is cheaper and will work just as fine. It is also possible to prime with things like treacle/golden syrup or even honey. If you were to use one of these I would batch prime as it would be a lot easier than to try and weight the correct amount into each bottle.

Batch priming also makes life a little easier when you have different sized bottles.

AWESOME!!

So now I know what it is *DOH*...........which one is best? I'm assuming some sugars may impact upon the taste :wha:

Plain old granulated works fine :thumb: easiest is batch priming rather than putting sugar in each bottle, add between 60 - 90g (depends how much fizz you want) to 150ml boling water to dissolve, add this to 23 litre brew and then bottle :cheers: then the hard bit ..... wait :whistle:

Yup, mixing with boiling water first is useful to get it nice and dispersible. The amount of sugar you use is trivial to the taste so dont worry about it :-)

Baz Chaz said:
Plain old granulated works fine :thumb: easiest is batch priming rather than putting sugar in each bottle, add between 60 - 90g (depends how much fizz you want) to 150ml boling water to dissolve, add this to 23 litre brew and then bottle :cheers: then the hard bit ..... wait :whistle:

Well, that's debatable imo...

I batch primed a youngs lager kit with 90g of sugar, and when I've opened the bottles, there's hardly any ptschhhh sound, and very little fizz. I put 155g of sugar for a batch prime in 20l of coopers original stout, and that's much better... I would say for bottling, a minimum of 120g is needed (for an ale) and up to 180g for a lager imo...

lovelldr said:
... I would say for bottling, a minimum of 120g is needed (for an ale) and up to 180g for a lager imo...

I don't brew lager, but minimum of 120g in beer :?:

I've used as little as 60g in 23l and been fine :thumb: don't know why you've not been successful with carbonation but I don't use any more than 90g in any bottling :cheers:

I too always use a level teaspoon - I even count them into a pan of boiling water when batch priming for however many bottles require filling rather than weighing it and adding. Daft I know - but works for me and I know it'll always be right in the keg/bottle ;)

And furthur to the stupid question remark....

One of our work colleagues was looking at a newspaper picture of a huge prize bull that had sold for 10000 Guineas recently and asked us all....

''How many bacon sarnies would you get out of that?'' :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

''Ritchie..... you are a thick c**t'' we all replied.

We never have a dull day when he's in....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

^^ haha classic - you should see the youtube vid of the girl trying to work out how many miles you travel in 1 hour if you're travelling 80 miles per hour

here ... enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUFyVzaWT2o

anyway, next brew i'm going to experiment with carbonation so I can put an end to my carbonation paranoia!!

I'm going to bottle a percentage with coopers carbonation drops, dextrose, spraymalt and granulated sugar and see what the results are.

Because in the immortal words from "Dirty Harry" ... I gots to know :D

seamus said:
^^ haha classic - you should see the youtube vid of the girl trying to work out how many miles you travel in 1 hour if you're travelling 80 miles per hour

here ... enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUFyVzaWT2o

anyway, next brew i'm going to experiment with carbonation so I can put an end to my carbonation paranoia!!

I'm going to bottle a percentage with coopers carbonation drops, dextrose, spraymalt and granulated sugar and see what the results are.

Because in the immortal words from "Dirty Harry" ... I gots to know :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Latest posts

Back