Probe Calibration

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the shadow

Reaction score
well after i put the link for food probes a few of you seem to like them and there will be a good few of you that use a food probe for you home brewing

BUT IS THE TEMP READING YOU ARE GETING RITE.
heres how to Calibration you probe

take a glass and pop a few ice cubes and some warter in to it. put your probe in and The probe should read between –1oC and 1oC.

put a pan of warter on the stove and bring it to the boil. probe in to the warter. hold it in the center of the pan not touching the bottem. your reading should operate between 99oC and 101oC

this is only only suitable for digital food probes

hope you fined this help full :cheers:

You are assuming a linear calibration. I've had probes spot on at 0C and 100C, and 4C out at 65C . . . I use a Nist traceable Mercury standard thermometer to calibrate each and every one of my digital probes, and keep the calibration curve with the thermometer.

One of mine is Under between 0C and 45C (whereupon its the same) then Over from 55-90C and then its linear up to 100C.

I built a steam point testing device to test mine.

It is an old malt tin with a hole drilled in the side :lol: I insert the probe and secure it then boil the water, the probe protrudes about 1 cm above the water level to get the steam temp as in the water there is variance due to super heating and and convection and what not.

it doubles for the ice test crushed ice and water fill the tin voila.

It is total over kill but I don't get burnt fingers and I don't drop the probe in the pan :cry:

The boiling point test will also depend on where you live (altitude).
For the 0 deg test you should only just cover the ice with water and the probe should not touch the sides or base of the container when being tested.
It is total over kill but I don't get burnt fingers and I don't drop the probe in the pan
It sounds quite reasonable to me :thumb:

Took mine to work today and had it checked out in our instrument workshop, between 60 and 80 degrees C the largest error was 0.1, surprised me just how accurate a £10 thermometer can be. I bought THIS one.

Back