Problem lid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Bear

Reaction score
This could be the daftest question yet but I've had a hell of a job getting the lid of my plastic fermenting bucket it was sealed so tight. i had to prise it open as only one part you could get your fingers in. so wondered if there is a tip for a simple way?

I put the FV on the worktop in the kitchen with the gap you mention furthest away from me then sort of peel the lid (with both hands) towards me, the good news is a FV with a very tight lid should be airtight (many are not) which is great if you like seeing airlock activity.

I put the FV on the worktop in the kitchen with the gap you mention furthest away from me then sort of peel the lid (with both hands) towards me, the good news is a FV with a very tight lid should be airtight (many are not) which is great if you like seeing airlock activity.
Thats whats so ironic, ive not had any airlock activity so read that lid maybe not secure! took it off fairly easy to do reading then went to do next reading and struggled to to remove it then same thing when i went to siphon it. Ill try your method next time thanks. one other thing i have a float in king keg but when i put beer in couldnt see it floating on top should it?

If it's a Young's FV, the lids are **** - you have to "unpeel" the lid all the way round, then lift it off...
If you try to just pull it off, they eventually tear...

If it's a Young's FV, the lids are **** - you have to "unpeel" the lid all the way round, then lift it off...
If you try to just pull it off, they eventually tear...

its a Ritchies one. you can only get a grip where the lip is

My tip is for lids is...dont use one. I cover my FV's with cling film held on with a big elastic band. Then just rest the lit on the top to prevent anything falling on the cling film and going through it

My first brew in over 40 years, in a builders 5 gallon bucket, lid definitely a not available extra.. :) Turned out superb, Ritchies`s Yorkshire Bitter.

Attachments

• Ferment.jpg
    Ferment.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 69
Apologies, I appear to be channeling Kenneth Williams.
I’ve been listening to Round The Horne on 4extra:rolleyes:

My tip is for lids is...dont use one. I cover my FV's with cling film held on with a big elastic band. Then just rest the lit on the top to prevent anything falling on the cling film and going through it
... I always try to avoid stereotyping people, but ... ALL the other fasting advocating, fitness fanatic, grain based-vegan, care workers that I know of are too worried about the environment to go advising people to use single-use plastics when those people already have re-usable alternatives that would work just as well ... just saying :confused.:

Cheers, PhilB

Latest posts

Back