Proper way to oxygenate your wort

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brumbrew

Regular dufus
Reaction score
I've put this here because we did more as a joke. But I can see this becoming useful for starters. ;-) quick blast of the ol 02 bottle.

It's medical grade 02 that my brew buddy happened upon. He works in steel industry so could be from there, I didn't ask ;-)

IMAG2564.jpg

IMAG2565.jpg

IMAG2566.jpg

I use of e of those hand blender stick things with a whisk attachment. It froths up to almost as much again in foam.!

It was a novelty thing really hence the pink thing with ears that's normally on the dashboard. It on the oxygen knob. Still have it a good thrashing. Was a why not moment ;-)

does it really influences the final product drilling more holes in the fermentator spending a lot of more money for just an oxygen tank o,o p.p ? i mean beer that is just well-mixed with the brewing spoon is not enought?XD

does it really influences the final product drilling more holes in the fermentator spending a lot of more money for just an oxygen tank o,o p.p ? i mean beer that is just well-mixed with the brewing spoon is not enought?XD

I have no idea. It was more of a joke, as I said my friend works in a big foundry type place (might be the one that made the Iraqi super guns)

However he told me it's got about 4 inch of krausen today!

Like I say, it was more a joke he bottle was almost empty.

Even though you may have done it as a joke, using pure oxygen (along with a an oxygen stone that I believe you get from aquarium suppliers) is a valid way to oxygenate your wort. In particular with high gravity worts where it can be hard to get sufficiant oxygen into your wort. Be careful though you can over do it.

If your interested in using pure oxygen to oxygenate your wort get the brewing elements yeast book. Using pure oxygen is all in there

@skystar according to the yeast book the maximum you can get just using home brew methods (using whisks, pouring wort from a height, etc) to oxygenate wort is 10ppm which in some cases (especially high gravity beers) isnt enough

Yes I have the elements book on yeast. Better than the one on hops in my opinion

Yes it is a great book and that along with listening to John Palmer and general advice from here has really changed my views on yeast.. Like MyQul says a few of us are becoming yeast nerds, because its a whole new tier which is often a second though.

I think what you did would probably be a good way to get a healthy fermentation going.. I put a whole thread up about it the other day, by shaking and stirring it is actually very difficult for Hbers to get a real healthy level oxygen in to begin with..

I "think" at high gravity beers they suggest trying to reoxygenate 12 hours or so after pitching.. (may not be accurate time)

The thought of doing that had crossed my mind n the past but i generally pour from as high as possible and wisk to produce a frothy foam

Yes it is a great book and that along with listening to John Palmer and general advice from here has really changed my views on yeast.. Like MyQul says a few of us are becoming yeast nerds, because its a whole new tier which is often a second though.

I think what you did would probably be a good way to get a healthy fermentation going.. I put a whole thread up about it the other day, by shaking and stirring it is actually very difficult for Hbers to get a real healthy level oxygen in to begin with..

I "think" at high gravity beers they suggest trying to reoxygenate 12 hours or so after pitching.. (may not be accurate time)

I'll inform the brew buddy about this and see if he can pop the airlock off and insert the pipe again. He did say it took off like a rocket but first time using liquid yeast.

Latest posts

Back