Punk IPA clone?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cockerhoop

Reaction score
I have just done my first 2 all grain brews.
The first was a Windermere Pale clone which has gone in a barrel. The second is a Cockerhoop clone which I am about to bottle. Both seem OK so far, although the Pale has a long way to go to clear. I haven't added finings to either. Do most people add finings? Does it just take longer without.
For my next brew, I want to make something like Punk IPA or an american style IPA, i.e. something really hoppy and quite strong.
The first 2 brews I have made have been with recipes provided by my local stores, but non of them seem to have any recipes for anything like that. I was wondering about just using something like one of these recipes again and dry hopping near the end.
I brought back a few recipes back from San Diego, but can't seem to find the ingredients over hear.
Anyone got any recipe suggestions that I would be able to get the ingredients fairly cheaply?

Check out a similar thread I started a while ago. Stick punk IPA into the search box and read nobyipa's post. He has a good recipe for punk IPA and so do a few other folk on that thread.

I use Irish Moss or Protofloc in the boil as a clearing agent.

Get some Pale malt and some crystal, and buy a range of hops like Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial, Summit, Columbus, Cascade, Chinook, Citra.

IPAs are pretty simple, and recipes all over the internet. Around 5% crystal malt, a small bittering addition and then loads of late and dry hops.

I know punk is made with maris otter(some people say a little biscuit malt), ahtanum,simcoe,nelson sauvin and chinook. Not sure what yeast though.
Alternatively you could book a tasting session at your local brewdog pub. They tell you how to brew their beer and you get a paddle of beer to try too. Learn to make punk AND drink a few at the same time? Win win in my book.

I was in Camden Brewdog on Monday and they were selling a Punk IPA all grain kit. I was tempted but ultimately didn't bother which I now regret as I can't find it online. Could be worth getting in touch with the camden bar (they're on twitter) and asking if they will sort you out, which is what I intend to do.

I've decided to do a Punk IPA clone as my first brew of the year. The biggest issue is the differing advice on the hop schedule, possibly due to the change of recipe a while back.

I've ordered Extra Pale Malt, and all the advertised hops (Chinook, Ahtanum, Amarillo, Cascade, Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin). Target IBU is 35. Any thoughts on this, I'm still a relative newbie but at the moment I've got;

15g Chinook @ 60
30g Ahtanum @ 15
15g Nelson @ 15
10g Amarillo @ 10
10g Cascade @ 10
10g Simcoe @ 10
10g Nelson @ 0
10g Amarillo @ 0
10g Cascade @ 0
10g Simcoe @ 0

Dry Hop
35g Chinook @ 5 days
20g Ahtanum @ 5 days
25g Nelson @ 5 days
30g Simcoe @ 5 days
30g Amarillo @ 5 days
30g Cascade @ 5 days

Which brings me in at just over 40 IBU. Any thoughts? (You may notice I've used 50g of every hop, figured given the cost of such a variety it'd be nice to squeeze another brew in if the first seems like it's developing well).

Just an opinion but you seem to be chucking the kitchen sink at your first attempt. 300g hops, 6 expensive varieties. You want know which hop is doing what. And 300g is probably too much.

One option might be to use two or three hops. Amarillo and Simcoe are a fabulous combination, for example, Simcoe pine plus Amarillo fruit. You could add some Chinook, maybe, it's really powerful so not too much, maybe use it for bittering and some in the dry hop. The punk hops change with availability, you are looking to emulate the Punk style I think, with a similar rather than identical hop schedule.

Ha! Cheers for the advice, yeah it is a bit OTT. Though that was in a way the point. I only graduated to AG about 8 months ago and have made some wonderful dark beers, but my first attempt at a hoppy pale felt a bit underwhelming.

Hops already ordered, but on the plus side, I've got a plan to split a mash in a couple of weeks and experiment with different hops to see if I can learn something about their individual contributions. So I'll take what you've said and set some to one side for that.

In my opinion AG is all about experimentation. I love highly hopped beers but some are just too much. I went down the route of using a single hop variety ( citra,Amarillo and Galaxy ) for taste and aroma using about 100g per 25 litre brew. I used challenger as a bittering hop to save opening another 100g packet.
I have been impressed with the results and have done a couple of repeat brews.

Latest posts

Back