Purple Line Cleaner in a corny?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawks

Landlord.
Reaction score
Is there any reason not to use a corny for line cleaner? I imagined it would not effect the stainless, but I now have some interesting marks inside mine since using on the weekend..

DSC_0101_zps6cfdc263.jpg

That was taken straight after I emptied it out

Today they are far more multi-coloured, I'll try and get a photo later

Any ideas, have I just buggered a corny :pray:

Thanks for the quick reply Mark, will try giving it a soak later. I had diluted to the recommended level (IIRC 12.5ml per litre ), will be gutted if the keg is damaged it's one of my 9litre babies

I always use purple line cleaner via my cornies, though only for the time it takes to clean the lines - say half an hour or so tops, before rinsing well. Its never done anything like that to them...

I believe it can attack the metal if left for too long though, or at too high concentrations, especially at the liquid/air boundary. Can you reach in far enough to tell if its a deposit of some sort or if it is actually the surface that is degraded in some way (as it looks from the picture)?

If it is damaged then if you can reach it, it 'may' be possible to rescue it by cutting back the surface with some scotch-brite and BarKeeper's Friend and then (after rinsing and drying) leaving it in air to re-passivate. BUT I've not done this with such a stain, so i'd get lots of second opinions before doing that...

Cheers
Kev

Cheers Kev

It was in there for maybe an hour tops. I can reach the mark and if rubbed with some tissue I get a brown rust like residue on the tissue but not a lot. May see what others have to say.. I like the idea of potentially trying to cut it back though..

After posting about this to someone else I was given a tidy ( but very polite ) reminder to update this one :oops:

I cleaned the keg with oxi ( which to be honest didn't entirely remove the stain, but the brown subsided leaving some interesting colours). Nothing was being left on tissue when wiped wet or dry so I threw caution to the wind and filled it with beer ( 9l from a 56l brew just in case ). The beer was fine and when finished I opened the keg to find no marks at all...

Very odd all in all but my keg was fine and 9 months on I am still alive to tell the tale :whistle:

Latest posts

Back