Quality of malt?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrighty69

Reaction score
My local home brew shop sells 3kg bags of dried malt for £9 and 500g bags of wheat for £1.60 which seems very cheap compared to prices online. Is there anything I should be checking before buying? Thanks for your help.

I have only bought one lot of malted barley and wheat. I bought mine from The Malt Miller in Swindon. they mill the malt to order so it is probably the freshest you can buy, I would wonder how long the makt has been sat on the shelf, obviously check the dates etc. The malt miller is around £1.50 ish per kg ofmalt, so £3 for something sat on a shelf degrading in the daylight is quite a lot, obviously if you have to add postage that puts the price up a bit, but if you buy a good amount then it breaks the cost down a bit.
HTH.
Steve.

as you say, the dme at £3 a kilo is cheap and maybe too cheap. i think I'd give it a miss but you'll never know unless you try it. not sure about the wheat you mention. is it wheat malt extract or malted wheat i.e. grain? if you want to make good quality beer you need good quality ingredients.

I stopped buying small bags this year. Just bought a 25kg sack of pale malt for 28 quid. Claims to be good for a year.

Usually i would buy a 3kg bag at 4.40 and two 1kg bags 1.48. 500g is 77p.

If my LHBS can make money on selling me bulk like that surely the market can too?

Latest posts

Back