Torrified Wheat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moto748

Landlord.
Reaction score
When I've bought torrified wheat in the past, it's looked very much like ordinary wheat malt. But in my local HB shop today, there were bags labelled torrified wheat that resembled flaked barley. Are there two types? Or wrongly labelled? I should have queried it with the woman in the shop. Any thoughts, anyone?

Torrification is a heating process that pre-gelatinises starches, akin to making popcorn. It can then be rolled or left as is, which is why you are seeing both. Flaked grains are just rolled.

BB is exactly correct

Torrified in not malted but it is heated to release the sugars

Flaked barley is just that - barley flaked - however, the description is a bit lacking is it Malted and then flaked, torrified and then flaked or just barley flaked (which would be a bit odd)

Edit - in response to OB's post above.

I *think* torrified barley is gelatinised at a higher temperature than flaked barley, to achieve the "pop". It certainly seems to be darker.

Torrified Barley (Crisp)
crisp_malt_FBarley.jpg

Flaked Barley (TMM)
IMG_9476-scaled-e1610704704507.jpg

I use flaked barley in stouts, but seemingly they have the same properties. Would be interested to know for certain as torrified barley seems to be cheaper.

Last edited:
So why in some recipes you see both flaked barely and Torrefied wheat if they are basically the same. Or add the same quality

In reply to the original post, these are wheat flakes. They are gelatinised and unmalted (as are torrified). I use these in Witbiers (traditional would be raw wheat, but I've never tried that).

IMG_8340-scaled.jpeg

When I've bought torrified wheat in the past, it's looked very much like ordinary wheat malt. But in my local HB shop today, there were bags labelled torrified wheat that resembled flaked barley. Are there two types? Or wrongly labelled? I should have queried it with the woman in the shop. Any thoughts, anyone?
I don’t have a definitive answer for you but, in my limited experience, torrified wheat Ive bought hasn't looked noticeably different to the wheat malt I’ve bought.

So why in some recipes you see both flaked barely and Torrefied wheat if they are basically the same. Or add the same quality
They're different. One is barley, the other is wheat 😂

(Only responding because I made pretty much the same comment a while ago and someone have me pretty much the same answer!)

Lots of confusing things here about wheat and barley. About your original post. Wheat malt is a hard ovoid grain that needs to be milled/ground in order to use. Torrirified wheat is a flattened leaf shape which breaks up between your fingers - and doesn’t need milled to use. I hope that helps.

Sugar Puffs are torrified wheat, which shows that it doesn't necessarily have to be flattened. It can be milled, rolled or whole depending on how the maltster chooses to processes it. The torrification process should be enough to disrupt the outer of the grain, as in the way the inside of corn is exposed when popped.

Torrefied_Wheat_Crisp_Malt.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of confusing things here about wheat and barley. About your original post. Wheat malt is a hard ovoid grain that needs to be milled/ground in order to use. Torrirified wheat is a flattened leaf shape which breaks up between your fingers - and doesn’t need milled to use. I hope that helps.
Torrefied wheat isn’t always flattened. GEB supply the “whole Kernal” version as standard, whereas THBC has torrefied wheat and flaked wheat as separate items.

Torrefied wheat isn’t always flattened. GEB supply the “whole Kernal” version as standard, whereas THBC has torrefied wheat and flaked wheat as separate items.
I stand corrected sorry about being quite so definitive. Either way torrified wheat should break up when rubbed between fingers, unlike Maltese wheat.

Last edited:
I stand corrected sorry about being quite so definitive. Either way tortured wheat should break up when rubbed between fingers, unlike Maltese wheat.
I don’t think that’s right either, it’s always been quite hard when I’ve ordered it - I accidentally ordered TW uncrushed the first time and my Bulldog Mill (which was a piece of **** anyway) couldn’t even handle it.

I don’t think that’s right either, it’s always been quite hard when I’ve ordered it - I accidentally ordered TW uncrushed the first time and my Bulldog Mill (which was a piece of **** anyway) couldn’t even handle it.
Torrified wheat really should be quite friable. That’s sort of the point it’s been precooked.

Latest posts

Back