Quick little build (adjustable whirlpool arm)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyberjip

Regular.
Reaction score
Though I would just post this up in case anyone was thinking of doing the same.

Everything done in stainless steel.

First I had to drill my kettle, pain in the f*****g ass, if anyone has any tips on how to make this any easier I would appreciate it.

Thaen made myself a bulkhead out of some threaded 1/2 Tube couple of orings, washers and nuts.

20200415_205202.jpg

Next for the outside I connected an elbow to a ball valve and finished it off with a cam disconnect.
20200415_205950.jpg

Then this sexy little fitting, SS 1/2 bsp - 10mm compression. Wasn't cheap mind cost me over £10
20200415_210106.jpg

Connected that to another elbow and fitted to the inside.

Next I bent, cut, de-burred some 10mm SS pipe to two different lengths.
One for a full two keg brew and one for a one keg half brew.
20200415_211142.jpg

Pretty much done now. Befor each brew session I quickly pop in the one I need and nip it up takes 5 seconds.

20200415_211300.jpg

20200415_211713.jpg

Probably not brewing this week but will report back next week after it's had it's first brew.

First I had to drill my kettle, pain in the f*****g ass, if anyone has any tips on how to make this any easier I would appreciate it.
Yes, not easy. I used a method I saw on youtube. Apply a piece of masking tape where you want the hole. Use a centre punch to ding the spot. Drill a pilot hole (3 mm diameter). Use cutting fluid (I used Ambersil Tufcut). Enlarge hole to 8 mm. Use 21 mm diameter Q-Max metal punch (available from Angel Homebrew) to make the hole for 1/2 bsp fitting. Debur before you run your finger around the nice new razor sharp hole ashock1

Yes, not easy. I used a method I saw on youtube. Apply a piece of masking tape where you want the hole. Use a centre punch to ding the spot. Drill a pilot hole (3 mm diameter). Use cutting fluid (I used Ambersil Tufcut). Enlarge hole to 8 mm. Use 21 mm diameter Q-Max metal punch (available from Angel Homebrew) to make the hole for 1/2 bsp fitting. Debur before you run your finger around the nice new razor sharp hole ashock1

Yes this is pretty much the exact method I use. The bit I struggle with is the first pilot hole. I just keep snapping drill bits.

I much prefer doing the holes for heating elements as I can just go to town with the angle grinder then use a 40mm Q-max to get a nice neat opening.

Could you not have clamped the arm rather than drilling?

*Pipe down in the back*

But seriously I could of, however I will also use it to fill the kettle and like to do this with the lid on to keep the heat in so i can get to the boil ASAP

This is a very good method. As an engineer in the food industry I drill a lot of holes in stainless and it’s never fun. One thing I would add though, it’s well worth investing in a cobalt drill set. A bit pricey but they will last and make the job a lot easier.
This looks like a good idea, I may do the same.

I’ve been looking into methods of sparging and recirculating during mashing. Would this work for that (with a pump and a bit of pipe work)?

Latest posts

Back