Racking to a 2nd FV for priming - opinions?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 3rd batch of bulk carbed beer - Bure Gold - was perfect, carb lasted all the way down - not that it took long!!

Interested in the difference of carbing between table sugar and Dextrose - some of the kits come with Dextrose prime sugar but if table sugar is better may use that - any more thoughts?

Interested in the difference of carbing between table sugar and Dextrose - some of the kits come with Dextrose prime sugar but if table sugar is better may use that - any more thoughts?
I use table sugar exclusively for priming. I see no good reason to use the more expensive dextrose, or anything else for that matter. Just be aware that if you do decide to use table sugar it will be need to be around 10% less for the same level of carbonation as dextrose.

Been talking to the LHBS re bottling equipment and they have told me I should not rack to another FV prior to adding priming sugar solution as I will likely not bring over enough active yeast to carbonate - not suggesting they are wrong of course but most of what I have read says to rack to another FV, add the sugar solution being careful not to stir too much then this enables bottling to various sized bottles I have.

This I had planned on doing as the brew having been dry hopped without a bag has a lot stuff floating about and the thought of adding the sugar solution to that then stirring to distribute seems a recipe for churning up the trub and getting a very very cloudy beer.

Could I please get your thoughts as I am now confused as to what I should do - as always thanks in advance.
What you were told David is a load of tish, from kettle to fermenter,leave the trub in the kettle, get as clear a wort as you possibly can into the fermenter.( http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/brewing-methods/trub-seperation-why-and-how/) Piggy back secondary to primary so the co2 is moving through both units and into blow off tube. Just before the end of fermentation, transfer to a secondary, if you are dry hopping have the hops prepared in the secondary, the co2 from the primary will have purged the secondary, transfer wort to secondary, around halfway through the pressures will equalise, a squirt of co2 into the primary will finish the transfer all oxygen free. If you have no co2 bottle fill through the top of the secondary, the secondary will soon fill with co2.
If you have a good floculating yeast prime in the secondary, if it isn't cold crash and transfer to bottling bucket for bottle filling, any oxygen uptake will be taken care of by the yeast inside the bottles. You can set up any fermenting vessels to do this.
A picture is a thousand words.
008.JPG Clear wort into fermenter.
001.JPG Dry hops in secondary
004.JPG Transfer
005.JPG
Transfer complete

Latest posts

Back