Ratio of Campden Tablet/litre for treating Mash liquor?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedrayman

Mild & Bitter
Reaction score
What ratio is it for using Campden Tablets to clear out the Chloromines in tap water (tablet per litre)? I've got a bucket of 80litres ready to use tomorrow for mashing/sparging.

Also how long do I leave the treated water in my poly bucket before it is safe to transfer it to my shiny stainless mash tun? I understand that Campden Tablets can cause pitting in stainless and I don't want to ruin it.

Thanks

I hear half a tab for 5 gallons, so crush and chuck two in and you should be there...you might wanna get a second opinion on that but im confident enough!

You need to leave it 24 hours.

I use one per 60L. You don't actually have to leave it 24 hrs, it is instantaneous. But as Rob says crush it up and put it in your HLT as the water is heating up.

:thumb:

Yup if you are using it to sterilise fruit you need to wait 24hrs i think before adding yeast. I must admit when i started I was sure I read you had to wait 24hrs to get rid of the chloramines but I was corrected by Aleman. :thumb:

Oh thats good news that I don't have to leave it 24 hours, was going to start my Brewday tomorrow around 5:30am.

graysalchemy, you say put it in the HLT as it's heating up...is it okay to use them in my stainless steel HLT as I'm sure I read somewhere that the use of them can lead to 'pitting' in ss?

Thanks again

thedrayman said:
is it okay to use them in my stainless steel HLT as I'm sure I read somewhere that the use of them can lead to 'pitting' in ss?
At that sort of dilution it will have no effect whatsoever on your shiny.

Excellent, thanks all for your replies. Now off to bed for an early start Brewday tomorrow.

All the best

Latest posts

Back