Re-using wine bottles for home brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinson1

Reaction score
Can i re-use a screw cap wine bottle for my home brew? Obviously it wont be sealed just screwed tight! Will that work? Or do i have to buy new bottles? And if i can re-use the old screw cap bottles i have can i keep re-using them? Thanks ryan

I've just re-used 6 screw cap wine bottles for a rasberryWOW, as long as you sterilise them well I 'm sure they'll be fine a couple of times over.
Not sure if you store them long term but mine won't be around long enough with my missus.

What's a WOW? Seen it mentioned on here a few times! I was thinking ov saving a few bottles for about 6 months? Will they be any good for that? Ryan

Can i re-use a screw cap wine bottle for my home brew? Obviously it wont be sealed just screwed tight! Will that work? Or do i have to buy new bottles? And if i can re-use the old screw cap bottles i have can i keep re-using them? Thanks ryan

If it has to be glass then you can re-use screw top bottles but eventually the threads wear and they don't seal, if you don't mind the look of what you are pouring from you could use plastic spring water bottles as the caps last a long time, i have found 1.5 litre bottles the best so far.

What's a WOW? Seen it mentioned on here a few times! I was thinking ov saving a few bottles for about 6 months? Will they be any good for that? Ryan

It means wurzels orange wine, this is how you make it.

Part 1 - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpkXCowv2Ys[/ame]

Part 2 - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQQdkS0JAw[/ame]

If it has to be glass then you can re-use screw top bottles but eventually the threads wear and they don't seal, if you don't mind the look of what you are pouring from you could use plastic spring water bottles as the caps last a long time, i have found 1.5 litre bottles the best so far.

1.5ltr bottle? You mean like a Pepsi bottle or sumert like that?
I'll watch it now thanks! How do I get my hands on that?:tongue:

Just buy the cheapest spring water you can find in 1.5 litre bottles, you can use the water to make your WOW.

217e85FA9qL.jpg

Unless the bottles held sparkling wine, they probably won't cope with the pressure produced by primed beer. As Blue Moon suggests, the PET (fizzy water) bottles would be better/safer.

Cheers,
Chris

I reuse screwcap wine bottles all the time for my wine and not had any problems so far, although my wine usually isn't in them for too long! If I was going to keep a bottle for a longer time, I'd still use the bottles but would cork them instead and seal them with wax, although that's probably never going to happen if the truth be told!

Wassail!
Phil

Will a cork fit into a screwcap bottle? I wanna try keep some for roughly 6 months to see how the taste differs

Watching those videos of how to make the wine it seems easy enough but it's much longer than a 7 day kit? Why is that?

Yeah, you can squeeze one in. I've done it before when I've lost screwcaps. Just give them a soak in no-rinse sanitiser and then pop them in the corker. I use one of those two-lever ones which push the cork down a little funnel, seems to work well :)

Yeah, you can squeeze one in. I've done it before when I've lost screwcaps. Just give them a soak in no-rinse sanitiser and then pop them in the corker. I use one of those two-lever ones which push the cork down a little funnel, seems to work well :)

Okay I'll give it a try!! Can't wait to get my first 1 on the go! So many to choose from just don't know which to choose

Okay I'll give it a try!! Can't wait to get my first 1 on the go! So many to choose from just don't know which to choose

I would not start with a orange as some like it some don't, try a cranberry.,pomegranate or raspberry or something like that, choose something you know you will like.

Will a cork fit into a screwcap bottle? I wanna try keep some for roughly 6 months to see how the taste differs

you might find corks to fit but the walls of the bottle neck are too thin and may shatter.

I would not start with a orange as some like it some don't, try a cranberry.,pomegranate or raspberry or something like that, choose something you know you will like.

Can anyone get me a recipe for a strawberry and raspberry rose?
Or peach and passion fruit white? Thanks ryan

Back