Ready for First Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnic

Reaction score
But maybe a little (ok, a lot of) technical advise before I fire up the boil.

During an unexpected trip to the States I found some Muntons DME at a local health food shop and I grabbed two 3 lb bags (1.38 kg) of Amber malt.

At my local brew shop I bought a variety of Yeast and hops, explaining to the lad there, that I'm a rank noob with zero brews under my belt.

Hops: all pellets - two - 1 oz packages each of;
-Fuggle Aroma Hop, Alpha acid 4.3%
-Crosby & Baker Liberty - Alpha 5.2%, Nitrogen flushed barrier
-C & B UK Northern Brewer (Northdown) 9.4% - Nitro flushed
-Hop Union US SAAZ, Alpha 5.3%, Beta 4.9&,

Yeast: all 11.5 gr pkts
-Safale US 05, Dry Ale yeast ( pkts)
-Saflager w-34/70 Dry Lager yeast (1 pkt)
-Safale S-04 D.A.Y.

Also nabbed some Star San

Some advise on which hops & yeast combos would work best with the DME would be much appreciated. I'd like to brew 2 batches with the DME, the young man at the shop said 3 lbs DME was enough for 2.5 gallons (?). Would like to try a lager and an ale with the DME I have on hand. After that I'm malting and going AG with what's left until I make the next sojourn to Maine. Being a light drinker 2 gallons should keep me happy for 2-3 months unless I share a lot with my neighbor who's keenly interested in my adventure.

I do enjoy a good lager. Sam Adams Boston Lager and their Summer Ale are two of my fav store brands with Corona extra coming behind them. I tried a local Belgian Ale that I thought was a bit too floral for my taste.

Thanks in Advance
Tim

It actually says Nitrogen Flushed on the packets. No idea what that even means. :lol:

Latest posts

Back