Ready, Steady, Cook!!!....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trotters80

Reaction score
Like the programme lol, I have a John Bull London Porter kit, Chocolate Malt grains(or whatever you call them), spray dried malt and cascade hop pellets.

How should I use these ingredients?. Does anyone have a recipe/method etc?.

Thank you.

Throw everything in a pot, boil for 60 minutes, cool to 20 degrees and pitch.

Just joking. I don't pimp kits, just thought I'd give it my best Keith Floyd.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Well, if they're grains, they'll have to be steeped or mashed. Is it a kit? What equipment do you have?
Easiest way is to put the grain in a bag (was there one supplied?) then soak in 67 degree water for 30 minutes ( for choco or other specialty grains, since no sugars can be converted) then remove the bag and let drain for 15 minutes. Add spray malt and top and I would boil for a bit since you're working with hops.
First hop you'll add is mostly bittering. You probably want to break up your hops in half. Add half at start of boil and, just me, I would add the rest at flameout. To get bitterness, you'll want to boil for like 30 minutes. It's kind of a waste to use such a great hop to bitter, but I'm sure that's all you have, right?

So 500 g of DME and 500 g of grain? That's a small batch. 500 g of choco malt will be way too much for the DME. I'll let others chime in on a recipe you could do since I only use DME to make yeast starters and have no sense on mixing amounts for a batch.

So 500 g of DME and 500 g of grain? That's a small batch. 500 g of choco malt will be way too much for the DME. I'll let others chime in on a recipe you could do since I only use DME to make yeast starters and have no sense on mixing amounts for a batch.

He also has a John Bull Porter kit.

100g hop pellets, 500g spray malt & chocolate malt grains

OK, I'd brew the kit to 23 litres with all the spray malt and 500g sugar. That on its own would be ok, but you could increase the dark roasty character by cold steeping some of the grain, then boiling it. Don't use all 500g though, as it is pretty strong. After the beer has been brewing for 10 days or so, you could add some or all of the hops to make an American style porter.

Latest posts

Back