Real Ale pubs - Sheffield

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As part of the national celebrations of JJSH's 50th Birthday, I am going to drag the wife and a couple of mates to Sheffield to drink real ale. We are staying quite near the train station. Any real pub recommendations? Obviously, there is the Sheffield tap at the station, but what else is good around there?

Is that the chap who used to brew in France? I've had that recommenced to me, but unfortunately I'm off on a Monday eve so it won't be open. However, a chap I used to work with who was a HUGE Belgian beer fan couldn't sing their praises highly enough.

Used to brew in America, but went travelling and relocated in Yorkshire, I think they named themselves after a Commune in France. Their Belgian beers are rather good. So possibly the same.

I moved away a good few years ago, and haven't visited for a couple, but would suggest:

The Beer Engine, London Road (near Bramall Lane)
The Fat Cat, Kelham Island (There's a good few pubs there)
Hallamshire House, Crookes (Thornbridge-owned, lovely pub with snooker table)
The Grapes, Trippet Lane (Best Guinness in the city and the greatest Landlady ever)
Sheffield Tap, train station (You don't really have to leave here, never used to complain about a delayed or cancelled train)
The Bath Hotel, Victoria Street (a backstreet boozer with a fantastic beer selection).

Enjoy, very jealous. Sheffield is for my money the best drinking town in the UK. Being so compact means you can easily walk everywhere.

I moved away a good few years ago, and haven't visited for a couple, but would suggest:

The Beer Engine, London Road (near Bramall Lane)
The Fat Cat, Kelham Island (There's a good few pubs there)
Hallamshire House, Crookes (Thornbridge-owned, lovely pub with snooker table)
The Grapes, Trippet Lane (Best Guinness in the city and the greatest Landlady ever)
Sheffield Tap, train station (You don't really have to leave here, never used to complain about a delayed or cancelled train)
The Bath Hotel, Victoria Street (a backstreet boozer with a fantastic beer selection).

Enjoy, very jealous. Sheffield is for my money the best drinking town in the UK. Being so compact means you can easily walk everywhere.

Thanks, thats the sort of list I'll need. I'm staying not very far at all from many of those. Have a couple of days booked off work to recover as well. athumb..

Plus one for the Bath Hotel - used to live 90 secs staggering distance in my final year at Uni in the mid 90s. Popped in about 5 years ago and nothing had changed barring the area was slightly less rough. there was always an eclectic mix of characters in there!

Forgot to add, Abbeydale Moonshine for me is one of the country's greatest session beers, so be sure to try it (it will be on somewhere). So good I had a cask of it delivered down here in Surrey for my 30th 3 years ago.

I'd jump on a train down to Edale there's a little ale trail on way back stopping off at every station. Some have a little walk from stations just to help sober ya up 😂

Latest posts

Back