Reason for very High OG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidgrace

Reaction score
I do 11.5L batches using BIAB. Before getting a Peco boiler, I used to do dunk sparging because my pan was too small for a full volume mash with no sparge. Since getting the Peco, I have been able to do full volume with no sparge, but the OG is very high. My first attempt was 1058 rather than the expected 1050. I've added water to bring the OG down, but this has resulted in the loss of body and flavour in the beer. Do you think this shift from dunk sparging could be the reason for the high OG?

Last edited:
I am simply taking the expected OG on the recipe.
And assuming that your mash efficiency is the same as the recipe creator? It’s not.

Do you use any software, like Brewfather? You can calculate your actual mash efficiency from brews you have already done, and apply this known efficiency to the recipes in future so you match the target gravity.

I am simply taking the expected OG on the recipe.

That is your problem.

All recipes are only an approximation as they are usually calculated for a standard efficiency, typically 70% or 75%. Your efficiency, and mine, and lots of others will be different depending on technique, equipment, grain crush etc. Once you have done a few brews you should be able to work out your efficiency and use it to compensate e.g. mine is always 68% so generally I need a bit more grain than most recipes to hit the target OG. You can do this adjustment using brewing software.

The fact that you have got a higher OG is good as you have achieved a very efficient mash, so will need less grain than the recipes state (if consistent every mash).

Back