Recipe ideas for malt received as a gift

Discussion in 'General Recipe Discussion' started by Jonathan Frost, May 20, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. May 20, 2019 #1

Jonathan Frost

Jonathan Frost

Jonathan Frost

Hey guys,

So I guess my wife got sick of me going on and on about moving over to all grain brewing, so she went to our local supplier and bought a 25kg bag of Maris Otter, a small bag of biscuit malt, and two bags of hops (Fuggles, Nelson Sauvin). I need to start being today, and I've had a flick through a couple websites, but I was wondering wether or not there is a place where you can search for recipes based on the ingredients to have? Or even if you have done personal recipes you'd be willing to share!

Cheers,

2. May 20, 2019 #2

the baron

the baron

the baron

Landlord.

Sounds like a bitter amber ale
    Maris Otter
    Biscuit Malt
    Fuggles hops
    Nelson lends itself to IPA's but you could do a smash with that which would be MO and just nelson

3. May 20, 2019 #3

Jonathan Frost

Jonathan Frost

Jonathan Frost

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I think I'm going to try a SMASH as it's simpler for a first time beer!

4. May 20, 2019 #4

darrellm

darrellm

darrellm

Landlord. Supporting Member

I find the trouble with online recipes is that there's just too many of them: how good are they, how many times have they been brewed etc? Brewers Friend is one of the go-to online resources and has a Nelson recipe https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/54124/nelson-sauvin-smash

I prefer books, there's a couple of good ones that many of us have and both have lots of recipes that are tried and tested
    Greg's book has a great Nelson Sauvin recipe that I've made. Graham's book has quite a few recipes with Fuggles but you'll need some crystal malt to go with your base malt, the Donnington Brewery clone ales use all Fuggles.

5. May 20, 2019 #5

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Landlord.

How about a beer inspired by Thornbridge Kipling?
    20l, 5.2%abv, og/fg 1.050/1.011

4.6 kg Marris Otter mashed at 68°C
    Magnum 17g at 60 mins (sub in Nelson about 20g)
    Nelson sauvin 50g at 0 mins
    Ferment with something nice and clean like US05

Did something like this and really enjoyed it. I also reckon you could do an English pale with c.4kg mo, 10% biscuit, fuggles at start and end of boil, fermented with s04 (assuming you aren't into liquid yeast yet)

6. May 20, 2019 #6

Jonathan Frost

Jonathan Frost

Jonathan Frost

Thanks for the help guys, I do have the Graham Wheeler book, which had been helpful for the brewing process, but I didn't find a recipe to help me out. That being said I will be buying ingredients to try out some of them.

I like the sound of the Thornbridge inspired beer, 50g at zero sounds like a lot though!

Also how much water would you use in the mash for that one? I might give it a go tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help

7. May 21, 2019 #7

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Landlord.

Depends on your equipment and your preference. I tend to go in at 3litres per kg to account for the dead space in my system and my preference for a slightly wetter mash.

50g of NS (actually 80degC steep) is not excessive at flameout in my opinion, I think I probably chucked another 50g in as dry hop. NS is such a distinctive hop you really want to get it to sing in my view athumb..