recomend me a good lager recipe please AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
darrenwest1 said:
i have just done a kolsch but seems to be more like a ale than a lager
i an after somthing similar to grolsch please
cheers
Kolsch is an ale ;) . . .it's just stored cold :grin:

Something like GRolsch :hmm: :hmm:

Go to pub with crate of empty green flip to bottles . . . Drink real ale . . . Go to loo taking green flip top bottles with you . . . Fill Flip top bottles . . . return to seat . . . drink more beer . . . repeat until crate is full :lol:

For 23L at 1.048

4130g Lager Malt (Weyermann Pilsner Preferred)
730g Flaked Maize

Single infusion mash at 64C or for the more advanced brewer a Hochkurz mash at 62C for 45 minutes and 70C for 45 minutes

Boil for 90 minutes hopping to 27 IBU with

30g Saaz hops
20g Hallertau Hops

(Adjust quantities to suit your hop alpha values 50% IBU from each variety)

i don't have any where near the experience of (a)leman and others but my hunch would be to use the lager yeast!!

mark

That's the idea of a Kolsch - it's a lager-type recipe (heavy on the pilsener grains) with a top-fermenting yeast. It's fabulous - Oktoberfest cannot come quick enough this year - Munchen here I come (I was going the year before last but fell seriously ill)!!

Anyway, try this for a lager recipe... (and let me know - I plan on brewing something like this for Mrs Luckyeddie)

4.5 kg Maris Otter (could substitute up to 2 kg Pilsner grain)
0.25 kg Crystal
0.5 kg Demerara Sugar or honey

25 g Hallertauer Hops at 60
25 g Tettnanger Hops at 30
40 g Saaz Hops at 10

Pilsen Lager Yeast

OG should be around 1054-1060

luckyeddie said:
Try this for a lager recipe... (and let me know - I plan on brewing something like this for Mrs Luckyeddie)

4.5 kg Maris Otter (could substitute up to 2 kg Pilsner grain)
0.25 kg Crystal
0.5 kg Demerara Sugar or honey

25 g Hallertauer Hops at 60
25 g Tettnanger Hops at 30
40 g Saaz Hops at 10

Pilsen Lager Yeast

OG should be around 1054-1060
:hmm: Well ditch the Maris otter completely and use lager malt, scrap the crystal completely as it will make it to dark . . . for a pilsner style . . . use perhaps the same amount of Munich or Vienna malts instead . . .or a touch of carapils.

Sugar or Honey :hmm: Fine in a Eurotrash lager, skip it for a good European lager

Back