Recommend me a liquid yeast for lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
Since I plan to do a bitter with my next lot of brews I’ve added a liquid yeast and some spray malt to my trolley to do a starter.

Since I have some spray malt, and I usually use 2 sachets of dried lager yeast anyway, I thought I’d may as well use liquid this time instead.

I have 2 lagers lined up - a Sorachi rice lager and a Muncher Hell.

Can someone please recommend a yeast I can use for one/both of these? I’m using GEB so
I think my choice is between Wyeast and White Labs.

Jeez, there’s not actually that many liquid lager yeasts around and/or in stock.

I’ll either go for WLP830 German lager or stick with Lallemand Diamond and save my spray malt for when I do a style that benefits from liquid.

Lallemand Diamond is great as a dry option. CML are selling the Augustiner strain (WHC's Helles Fire Club). This is my go-to lager strain, but I've only ever used it as Imperial's L17.

Last edited:
Lallemand Diamond is great as a dry option. CML are selling the Augustiner strain (theyre selling WHC's Helles Fire Club). This is my go-to lager strain, but I've only ever used it as Imperial's L17.
Yeah I’ve tried both MJ lager yeasts and Diamond and (although they were very different lagers) I much preferred the diamond. It gave me a much crisper beer than the other 2 and I think it’ll probably be my go-to dry lager yeast.

I hadn’t realised CML are doing liquid yeasts. That’s handy to know because I buy about 6months of ingredients at a time and it’s the shelf life that puts me off using liquid yeast. In fact I’m not completely sure when I will Brew this lager because my lager stocks are ok, so think my bitter and NEIPA will take priority (I need to get my new cornies filled).

CML states it’s equivalent to WLP860 so it’s probably exactly what I’m looking for because 860 is called “Munich Helles”, which is the style I’m making. I need to get some Falconers Flight before I do my next APA so I can drop it in my basket at the same time.

I see they also have a Boddingtons strain (although it’s out of stock) in there too, which is handy to know for both bitters and NEIPAs.

Last edited:
I've used:

Liquid

WY2124 for a Märzen and Baltic Porter which were both very good.

WY2206 for an excellent Helles and also a Vienna Lager

(I've also done a pseudo Helles with WY1728 Scottish Ale which was really good too!)

WY2278 for a very good Czech Pils (twice) and Czech Amber

Dry

W-34/70 for a good German Pils

Recently bottled a Baltic Porter, and currently fermenting another Helles with CML "Hell" but to early to comment... The BP certainly attenuated very well!

Munich: Wyeast 2308.
Jeez, there’s not actually that many liquid lager yeasts around and/or in stock.

I’ll either go for WLP830 German lager or stick with Lallemand Diamond and save my spray malt for when I do a style that benefits from liquid.
In general I like and use GEB but I won't buy liquid yeast from them until they start showing the best-before date on the website. Particularly with lager yeast where the need for so many cells mean that older packs need multi-stage starters.

Back