Reliable but cheap apple cider recipe needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerRS

Reaction score
Hi all,

I like a good cider every now and again. I've found a kit that produces a very acceptable drink, Bulldog Premium Cider Kit - Perfect Apple. I brew this to 20L and I've found it's best bottled.

It is however, quite expensive (around 25 quid). Is there a simple recipe I can use to get a decent cider. The reason I like it is because it doesn't taste thin, comes out clean as a bell and is quite sweet. The kit comes with a yeast and sweetner all-in-one sachet. There can't be a lot of sweetness that comes from this sachet surely, as it is tiny.

I have made hard ciders before but they are astringently dry with little body.

Many thanks :)

I make quite a bit of turbo cider, look in the forums, if you like it sweet just use a packet of yeast with added sweetener from lhbs or ebay. Or you could add a tsp or two full of granulated sweetener to your glass before pouring as I do. I've not used the yeast with added sweetener because unless you do 23llt batch it comes out too sweet, I only do it in 10ltr batches.

Is the added sweetener in the yeast really that strong of a flavour? I only ask as when I've done TC before and quite a bit of it, its ok for me to drink but others who have tried it say its to dry/sharp. Might try some of this yeast the next time I do TC.

Cheers
Jay :)

Is the added sweetener in the yeast really that strong of a flavour? I only ask as when I've done TC before and quite a bit of it, its ok for me to drink but others who have tried it say its to dry/sharp. Might try some of this yeast the next time I do TC.

Cheers
Jay :)

I'm hoping someone can answer this as I wondered too.

I use the cider yeast with sweetener (I get it on ebay) for my (TC) ciders now, have had great results and I don't fancy going back to the sharper taste that I used to get using mangrove jacks or youngs cider yeasts

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I used a spare coopers yeast from an ipa kit for two turbo ciders I bottled last week. Apparently ale yeast turns out not as dry as cider yeast after reading up on various forums. When sampling at bottling it wasn't too dry and only put half teaspoon of sweetener in each bottle.

I think it was on here that I read that S-04 is meant to leave a nice medium cider.

I'll have to give it go at some point.

Latest posts

Back