Reliable Laptop?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Windows 7
Great insight.
I'm the guy who rolls his eyes at iPhone X. I'll never willingly pay for that. I'm very anti anything that attempts to create a need that doesn't actually exist.
Like I said earlier though, I'm not against technology that is valuable.

Last edited:
I’ve got a old Vaio but it was given a new lease of life with a fresh copy of Windows and a SSD. Now boots up in seconds and runs like new.

I use business laptops like lenovo thinkpads and the likes of HP and Dell make good ones too. They tend to be easier to upgrade and are substantially better built than consumer laptops. Also the keyboards are pretty terrible on most consumer laptops and I type a lot. One of my current pcs at home is a 7 year old thinkpad T540 which I bought second hand and upgraded a bit with an SSD and more memory, it still works great for all manor of things such as photo editing, huge spreadsheets etc . Just not for gaming though.

Most big businesses will cycle through their laptops every three years so normally they are great value second hand, better built and often just as fast as a new consumer one, but I presume the covid and work from home factor jacked prices right up in the US as it did in the uk. I would look at current prices for a second hand T480 and compare it to buying a new laptop or equivalent priced chromebook. Definately do your homework before going this route, as many businesses buy laptops with poor screens which can be annoying . There is a very good thinkpad sub reddit that has a buying and upgrading guide.

Just thinking of buying a new laptop as it happens. Currently have a Asus which has been pretty good but with odd issues. The battery died a long time back so it only runs off the mains, probably could have got a replacement as unlike today's laptops the battery is removable but never bothered. The hard drive went weird, I don't know if it was some sort of file system error or it was on its way out but it would take an eternity to boot if it would at all. I swapped it out for a SATA SSD (yes it's that old) which breathed a new lease of life into it and it's still going strong now.

Had a Dell before that which also has a dead battery but still runs, put an SSD in that as well. Haven't used it for ages but assume it still works.

Probably going to get another Asus, the Vivobook range with the OLED screens look a tempting proposition within my budget.

I have a Lenovo 500e Chromebook + running android apps and it is perfect for me. Touchscreen 180* swivel and stylus. 11" screen. Designed as a school pc. I have toted it all over the place, tough as old boots and quick startup. Easier printing (now) Chromebooks have evolved massively but still a bit quirky. I would be gutted if it failed! :eek:

Latest posts

Back