removing the safetys on my boiler elements

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob3000

Reaction score
A while ago i built a boiler from a plastic bin and two sainsburys kettles. I have been having problems with them cutting out half way through a boil and posted about it on this forum. narrowed the problem down to a build up of burnt stuff on the elements and tripping the safety switch.
I was given two solutions: clean the elemnts regularly or remove the safety pins inside the element. i have been cleaning them regularly in bicarb of soda but still had them cut out and bugger up my brew. So, today i tried to remove the safety by seperating the element from the base and tried to take the pin out. It didn't come out so i cut it off. Now it doesn't work at all.

Anyone know whats going on or what i should have done? should i just get some tesco or asda kettles that people on this forum have tried and tested?

Sounds like the bit you removed was the "safety" connection that stops it working if the element comes adrift from the element. Some of my new elements had this fitted, looked like a white plastic pin. The thermal cut out is usually a bi-metal piece that you need to remove. You could try adding a new piece of plastic to push it in.

As to cleaning with bicarb, I find wire wool of more use removing beer stone.

Back