Replacement for hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rukula

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi again! I've came across some decent tasting household liquid malt extract in my grocery store the other day. It smells like whats used for beer, and it tastes kinda similar. Anyways, it would be cool to try to make some kind of wort just from stuff in the grocery store, and as far as i see, it's possible.

However, this malt extract is obviously not pre-hopped and i cant buy hops from the grocery store. So is there anything i can use to give the beer some soul?

I know this wont end up as good as a malt extract meant for brewing, but it's just for fun :cheers:

if you look around you should find some yarrow growing in the grass in parks and most councli house comuninal lawns
that will be a good substitute , also do search for gruit you will find lots of herbs you can use
sage is nice too and you will find in grocery store.
and heather if you have any growing near you too.

tubthumper said:
if you look around you should find some yarrow growing in the grass in parks and most councli house comuninal lawns
that will be a good substitute , also do search for gruit you will find lots of herbs you can use
sage is nice too and you will find in grocery store.
and heather if you have any growing near you too.

Wow, thanks mate!
I've seen allot of this growing around my town, but i guess its all gone when i try to look for it :wha:
Rosemary and yarrow seems like something i can find somewhere.

But feel free to post other suggestions guys :cheers:

Latest posts

Back