Returning homebrewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panderson

Reaction score
Hi, just joined forum. I'm returning to homebrewing, 30yrs since last time! About to order a starter beer equipment pack from ballihoo with king keg. Used to use hambleton bard dry kits, any suggestions what to go for as my first attempt now? Do hambleton bard still exist? Thanks, Pete.

I don't know Hambleton Bard but seems they are still going Beer Kits - Hambleton Bard Dry Malt

I started on kits a few years ago and didn't make a kit I didn't like, (though I think the lager kits were the least interesting to drink).

What sort of beer do you enjoy? From that someone will be able to recommend something good I'm sure.

And welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Hi, usually prefer IPA, or citrus/fruity flavours. Have read good reports about Young's India pale ale kit, but choice of kits now is huge. Things have changed a lot in 30 yrs!

I did a Youngs and liked it, the Wilko kits are decent too, but check out the forum sponsors sites, loads of great choice there! Whatever you brew I'm sure it will be great!

I also jazzed up a few kits by making the basic kit then throwing in 25 to 50g of dry hops a 3 days before bottling, and also made a 'hop tea' to throw in to up the hops factor.

Many of the better kits come with some dry hops but in my mind they are never enough!

Very happy to be all grain brewing now, it isn't that hard - I highly recommend it if you have the time to brew.

Great thanks for info. Anyone used dark rock session series kits? Need to read up on all grain brewing, only ever used kits in past. Presume this is in the metal brewing equipment, this wasn't around when I last brewed. Cost may well be too much for that at moment though, that's why was going to try king keg again to begin with.

Ok great thanks, may well try that one. Reckon it's worth me trying a basic kit, eg Wilko or something, as first brew? Trying to remember process I used but long time ago!

Just checking the razorback, what stage do you put the additional hop pellets in? Sorry if stupid question but never added anything to bards bitter kits that I used to use.

Just checking the razorback, what stage do you put the additional hop pellets in? Sorry if stupid question but never added anything to bards bitter kits that I used to use.
From memory, I think there's 2 packs - one goes in at start of fermentation, and the other goes in about 3-5 days before kegging. I think they provide hop socks to keep it all together too. Good kits.

Mangrove Jack's are very good kits as well, probably my favourite kits. Festival are also decent.
A good tip that's been posted a lot on here is to ignore the timings the kits tell you and instead leave to ferment for 2 weeks, carbonate for two weeks then condition for at least 2 weeks, but longer is better for conditioning. Add the dry hops 3 days before bottling/kegging.

Latest posts

Back