Reusing Doombar mini keg for homebrew ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingtj64

Reaction score
Hi, was browsing eBay yesterday and saw a couple of videos of guys reusing 5l mini kegs for the homebrew, has anyone on here done this ?

Yes. I've done it. Avoid the Doombar kegs as they're a nightmare to strip down and clean. All the others- Ghost ship, Speckled Hen, Summer lightning are of a standard type and the bung is relatively easy to remove and reinsert. I stopped using them when I got a pronounced metallic taste in a couple of my beers. I think something I was cleaning them with was causing them to rust.

As above, I used to do it but eventually got the metallic taste so moved to stainless-steel minikegs.

BTW how was the Doom Bar from that keg? I just had one for my hols (didn't fancy carting homebrew to the holiday cottage) and it wasn't very nice, not completely off but a bit sour. Chucked most of it.

Am I right in saying some of these kegs have a plastic coating inside and it is this that breaks down and exposes the metal to corrosion

Ok, so is IT worth trying ?
I'll try taking the Doombar keg apart as that's what I have.

There are plenty of threads discussing this if you do a search.
I use the mini kegs regularly and have only had a metallic taste problem once or twice. I replace kegs after a few uses or if there is any sign of rust around the hole for the bung.

BTW how was the Doom Bar from that keg? I just had one for my hols (didn't fancy carting homebrew to the holiday cottage) and it wasn't very nice, not completely off but a bit sour. Chucked most of it.

I got given a 4 pack of tins last month and thought exactly that. It used to be my favourite. Maybe taste buds have changed from drinking own beer?

Iv used 4 of the doom bar kegs. Had one the other week and had no off tastes. Filled them in March with a Yorkshire Bitter an tbh I was impressed with how well they stored and dispensed the beer. After reading the above maybe they’re only good for one brew 🤷🏼‍♂️.

As above, I used to do it but eventually got the metallic taste so moved to stainless-steel minikegs.

Hi, the first night it was OK, but went to finish it last night & it WAS flat so went down the sink.
I've had these before & they we're fine.
So don't know, but as Weatherman says maybe it's that homebrew taste better ?
I have found that Doombar hasn't tasted as nice as it used to, was one of my favourites before I started brewing.

I was given Doombar in a keg at Christmas and it was bloody awful and had so much pressure I couldn't get a pint without 90% head for the first few days, and that was straight from the supermarket. Doombar itself I rather like so I know it was the keg that was at fault.

It was horrible. I couldn't find any specific fault in the beer itself except that it was rubbish beer. I've never liked Doombar, but someone brought me a can. Most of it ended up getting chucked, like yours.

I've only done 11 brews so far, but I am finding on pub crawls that I keep comparing beers to my own, UNfavourably.
I agree - it makes you far more analytical too about what you get served: the flavour, aroma, carbonation etc. (to say nothing of the price…)

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother trying to reuse the supermarket mini Kegs. Tried it a few times, as I wanted a way to transport my beer when away in our caravan. You'll end up with metallic tasting beer ( awful) the kegs have a very thin coating of plastic on the inside that seems to deteriorate after the kegs been opened. Do yourself a favour and use 2L plastic pet bottles instead.

Ok, so is IT worth trying ?
I'll try taking the Doombar keg apart as that's what I have.

It's definitely worth trying, just don't rely on them for infinite re-use.

I've moved onto these, expensive but then most things are in hobbies. I've got the 10L version and love it, going to buy another.
https://www.darkfarm.co.uk/keg-equipment/

Back