Rhubarb, rhubarb

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many thanks @Graz , cor blimey though, I thought it tasted strong!, I'm impressed the wilko wine yeast I used can operate to that abv!
Will have to proceed with caution drinking this, do you age yours or drink it young..it tasted ok.

If you don't want it that strong you can water it down a bit wink...

Generally give it a month or so to mature and then drink the odd bottle throughout the year. Not sure it really improves or worsens over that time. Nice chilled before dinner.

The elderflower and ginger version was hard to clear. The meths test for pectin proved negative. I tried to filter it but due to the sugar content (2.5%) even the coarse pad clogged up less than half way through. The haze is not too bad, but I will leave it to clear on it's own.
It did eventually clear to translucent, with a slight fine orange sediment, which suggests the haze was caused by tannin being added at the end instead of earlier. The wine is now 1 year old and the flavour bears no relation to the ingredients. I also found a gallon of a blackcurrant variant, which has a faint pink tinge and excellent flavour.
So now I can carbonate them, which is just as well, as I am running a bit low on stock. My partner says the fizzy rhubarb wines helps her sleep soundly, while my son says it's rather too laxative!
Meanwhile I have 3 gallons of the ginger version on the go, using 2 litres of rhubarb juice, 300 ml gjc and 50g ginger per gallon.

Mrs Clint's favourite....rhubarb gin....buy a litre of supermarket own label gin,500g each of sugar and diced rhubarb. Bung the lot into jars for a few months then filter back into the bottle...

Latest posts

Back