rhubarb wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does increase the bulk mean I'm very new to this.

How long do I leave it once its racked before bottling, it's down to one bubble every 30 seconds, I know it's not ready yet but I want to be prepared.

Mine is still fermenting at a faster rate than that and has an sg of 1008.
If it tastes sweet, add some yeast nutrient to help it along. If dry, it's ready for racking, stabilizing and fining. How long you leave it before bottling is a matter of taste!

tonny - you say no point in fermenting on the pulp for rhubarb - so just juice extraction of some kind, and then strain into fermenter?

I only have about 400g of rhubarb, but have purchased 500 of fresh ginger to go with it, and have some brewing sugar to add, and presumably I'll need sultanas (or raisins/currants) too.

yeast will be recaptured from a ginger beer, which was originally champagne yeast I think.

does this sound ok?

[edited to change to 500g of ginger (not 50g)

An electric juicer should give 55% extraction and pressing the pulp left over can give up to an extra 20%. What's left has very little flavour. A typical 1 gallon rhubarb recipe is for at least 3 times the amount you have and ginger wine about 80 g. plus lots of other ingredients, so you will need lots of sultanas, for example.

Crastney said:
tonny - you say no point in fermenting on the pulp for rhubarb - so just juice extraction of some kind, and then strain into fermenter?

I only have about 400g of rhubarb, but have purchased 500 of fresh ginger to go with it, and have some brewing sugar to add, and presumably I'll need sultanas (or raisins/currants) too.

yeast will be recaptured from a ginger beer, which was originally champagne yeast I think.

does this sound ok?

[edited to change to 500g of ginger (not 50g)

Personally, if you only have that much, I would buy a cheap white wine kit and add the juice and ginger to that.

tonyhibbett said:
An electric juicer should give 55% extraction and pressing the pulp left over can give up to an extra 20%. What's left has very little flavour. A typical 1 gallon rhubarb recipe is for at least 3 times the amount you have and ginger wine about 80 g. plus lots of other ingredients, so you will need lots of sultanas, for example.

I've just made a cider using an electric juicer :thumb:
I have a rhubarb wine on the go in which I froze the rhubarb then dry sugar extracted the juice... Question is though, is it ok to make rhubarb wine using an electric juicer? Or will this release too much oxalic acid?

I'm wondering because I've got some more rhubarb today from aldi at half price, 69p for 400g!
This way would be much more efficient.

:cheers:

Intelekt said:
I have a rhubarb wine on the go in which I froze the rhubarb then dry sugar extracted the juice... Question is though, is it ok to make rhubarb wine using an electric juicer? Or will this release too much oxalic acid?

I'm wondering because I've got some more rhubarb today from aldi at half price, 69p for 400g!
This way would be much more efficient.

:cheers:

A couple of people on here have made rhubarb wine recently using the dry extraction method and found it was short on acid.

What's probably needed is for someone to make two batches of rhubarb wine, one by the dry extraction method and one the conventional method, and see which works best, then report back. Personally I think a slightly acidic rhubarb wine wouldn't be a bad thing.

I think I'll push my rhubarb sticks through my juicer and give it a go like that, I can then compare it to my sugar extracted version :thumb:

This is the recipe I have adapted from my sugar extracted juice rhubarb wine, do you think it will be ok for the electric juicer?

I've replaced the grape concentrate from my last recipe with 2 litres of white grape juice, any thoughts?

What about topping up with AJ rather than water?

2kg Rhubarb juiced with electric juicer
2 teaspoons Pectolase
2 litres White Grape Juice
1 teaspoon Glycerine
1.25kg Sugar
1 teaspoon Yeast Nutrient
1 teaspoon Yeast
Top up with water

Looks ok to me. Some orange juice and tannin would be worth considering as enhancements. Mine is not yet ready, so I can't yet make a final statement.

No my other one isn't ready yet either, still bubbling! So I can't make a judgement either..
Thanks for the input :thumb:

I never added tannin to the other one but that did have red grape concentrate in so rich in tannin..

I'm thinking maybe a bit of juiced ginger root for this one :party:
How many grammes of fresh root to add an enhancement but not overpower the rhubarb do you reckon?

2.5KG of rhubarb, frozen, thorred out in a bucket with 1.2kg of sugar, put into dj but it didnt give much juice so gave it an extra 300ml of red grape juice. topped up with water, tannin, pectolose. a week later it doesnt smell very nice. the bottom half of the dj is a nice pinky colour, but the top of the liquid is covered in something that is brown and quite solid, doesnt look too great, not got great hope for this one!!

lucky iv got a couple of WOW's on the go that look cracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back