Ribena wine MK2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gave a bottle of this to the Wife last night and it's got a huge thumbs up. So much so that she came in from shopping today with 2 cartons of Tibena and a carton of white grape juice... hint hint lol.

So that's another gallon on the go as of 30 minutes ago.

The extra Ribena definitely added to the flavour etc, over the moon with it. She's happy.. I'm happy!

I'm thinking of putting the following recipes on and would welcome any thoughts from more experienced chaps/chapesses. I'll try to keep this updated and do a good job of making it a master Ribena thread (for the RTD - NOT the cordial) as it seems there are bits everywhere about brewing this particular one and Scott has already said how good this can turn out vs messing around with the cordial.

Kit for both will be ghetto i.e. drilling holes in PET 5L water bottles as per other threads.

'Hard' Ribena
Brief: Around 5L of Something fairly potent but not beyond 16% or so. Would go well over ice if after a hard drink of with Lemonade if not.

Ingredients:
4L Ready to drink Ribena (416g Sugar)
1tsp Youngs Super Wine Yeast
1tsp yeast nutrient
1tsp Pectolase
1100g Granulated Sugar dissolved in 300ML boiling water
700ML Mineral Water

Method: Warm everything up. Make the granulated into a nice syrup with 300ML boiling water. Mix together with 3.5L Ribena and sprinkle on top 1tsp of Youngs Super Wine Yeast. Secure airlock and leave alone for a couple of weeks or however long it takes to get the gravity gets under 1.000. Top up with 700ML mineral water and bottle - priming each wine bottle with 1tsp sugar for some sparkle and sweetness.

Ribena Wine
Brief: Around 5L of something nice & drinkable but in two minds about making it too 'winey' hence the decision to opt for white grape juice vs red. Closer to 10% than 15%.

Ingredients:
2L Ready to drink Ribena (208g Sugar)
1L Aldi Grape Juice (151g Sugar)
1tsp Youngs Super Wine Yeast
1tsp Yeast Nutrient
1tsp Pectolase
Juice of 1/2 Lemon
Half a mug of very strong tea
650g Granulated sugar disolved in 200ML boiling water
1.5L Mineral Water

Method: Same as the above apart from different juice quantities + grape juice into the mix, more water to top up and the addition of Citric Acid in the form of Lemon Juice & Tannins to give it more winey qualities.

Bits I'm unsure about

1) Do you guys try to stick with dex/brewers sugar for these types of brews or is granulated just fine? I read about granulated being good for cider and giving fruity twangs so may well be suited here? Also I'll be honest - cheapness is a factor!

2) How much tea to use and how strong is strong enough! 5L so half a mug made with 3 bags I was thinking. Can you bugger this up or not so much?

Both of those recipes sound fine.

With regards to the sugar, granulated is what I use with my wine as slight fruity esters will compliment the flavour.

With regards to the tea I would go with a mug made up with 2 teabags and steaped for around 20 minutes for each gallon.

Latest posts

Back