Riggwelter clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's time for a 'knife and fork' type of beer to wash down me fish and chips whilst walking me wippet
Only joking, being a proper Yorkshire lad, nowt goes down better than a pint of riggwelter or old peculiar.
Could someone check my recipe and see if this is anywhere near?

20l biab mash
3kg Marris Otter
150g Crystal 110
150g Chocolate Malt
150g Torrified wheat
100g muscovado sugar

As I don't have any tf, I'm going to take a leap of faith and replace it with Weetabix... Other brands are available....
Hops are 15g target at 60min
20g EKG at 15
20g fuggles at 0
Yeast mangrove jack's M15 empire ale

Question
Should I use Weetabix instead of Torrified wheat, or an I going to end up with cement like my daughter leaves in her breakfast bowl? Or just use some rolled oats (porridge oats) for that mouth feel effect?

Last edited:
@Nicks90

Fortunately I now keep a second copy of Mr Wheelers book at work so I can idle the time away. he has the following for 19L Riggwelter to come out at 58 EBC and 39 IBUs:

3490g Pale
410g Torrefied Wheat
320g White Sugar
275g Crystal (colour not specified)
87g of Chocolate

19g Challenger, 19g Progress and 10g of Fuggles all at 90mins
16g EKG at 10mins

No idea if it is any good - it's on my to do list.

Hi Nicks
Question
Should I use Weetabix instead of Torrified wheat, or an I going to end up with cement like my daughter leaves in her breakfast bowl? Or just use some rolled oats (porridge oats) for that mouth feel effect?
... Weetabix (crushed up a bit before adding to the mash) will mash OK, especially so with the small proportion of the grain bill you're looking at including ... although, if you've got it, Shredded Wheat is a closer substitution for Torry, and it's not "fortified" and doesn't have any salt added wink...

Cheers, PhilB

Good call PhilB - i have some shredded wheat in the pantry!
Although having a spot of salt probably wouldnt do any harm, but will go with your suggestion.

@Horners
Doesnt look a million miles away from my recipe, other than GWs reference to crystal is a dark crystal and fewer choccy malts, whgereas i am using a medium crystal and more choccy. So lets just roll with it and see what happens. Unfortunately i dont have any progress hops, so i'll have the use the ever faithful target for my bittering.
Interesting that the colour and IBU of the Graham Wheeler recipe nearly matches what i get in brewersfriend

@Nicks90

Fortunately I now keep a second copy of Mr Wheelers book at work so I can idle the time away. he has the following for 19L Riggwelter to come out at 58 EBC and 39 IBUs:

3490g Pale
410g Torrefied Wheat
320g White Sugar
275g Crystal (colour not specified)
87g of Chocolate

19g Challenger, 19g Progress and 10g of Fuggles all at 90mins
16g EKG at 10mins

No idea if it is any good - it's on my to do list.
Mr Wheeler, like many recipe authors a while back, was pretty quick to reach for the white sugar. Breweries would more likely be using invert sugar, which you still can't easily get hold of, and making it might not be difficult but takes for ever.

I was hooked on invert syrup after accidentally leaving some sugar syrup on gentle heat for rather a long time. Delicious!

You can approximate "invert sugar" with golden syrup and molasses as described here: http://www.unholymess.com/blog/beer-brewing-info/making-brewers-invert It's got to be better than "white sugar"? The guy on that site is a bit irreverent about Mr Wheeler, but it is an old article. Graham W. appeared in this post casting some words of wisdom about invert sugar: https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42824

Latest posts

Back