RIS recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Subtle Duck

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm planning a big Russian Imperial Stout and would like to put a few things past you all to see if i'm heading down the right track before embarking upon this crusade. Unfortunately ive only got the capability of 1 gallon biab and realise there may be a few complications along the way due to the size of the grain bill.

Here's the recipe as it stands

2.5kg pale malt 80.5%
108g porridge oats 3.5%
108g wheat malt 3.5%
78g Vienna malt 2.5%
62g crystal 40 2%
31g crystal 120 1%
124g carafa sp1 4%
62g roasted barley 2%
31g black malt 1%

Total grain: 3.1kg

Boil additions

60 min- 6g Magnum
8g styrian goldings

20 min- 4g centennial
12g styrian goldings

10 min- 1tsp yeast nutrient
1/6 tablet whirl floc

Should give me: 65 Ibus,
og 1.105, fg 1.024
10.6%.

I'm thinking about trying a reiterated mash to hopefully improve the efficiency with such a big grain bill.

First mash will be at 68'c. I'll put half of the grain bill including the dark malts to help with the ph. Once this mash has finished, maybe 40 mins, I'll pull the grain out and then add the rest of the malt bill. By using the first mash temp as my second strike temp, even If I lose a few degrees during the first mash, it should still reach temps of 63-65'c. Does this count as a reverse step mash?

Then onto a 60 min boil, my kettle is not big enough to accommodate a boil any longer than 60 mins, thus trying to get the highest gravity wort pre boil possible.

Water profile is prized Burton tap water. With caco3 of around 250 it's as hard as Chuck Norris and would suit this mash perfectly. Don't think I'll really need to add any other adjustments to the water.

To ferment, I'm not going to bother with making a starter but will pitch it onto a yeast cake of some thing brewed previously. I usually have good results from using CML US ale yeast in my porters but not sure if it's upto the job of chunking through something so big. Maybe with a bit of nursing it might be?

Any suggestions as to where I might encounter any other problems?

Latest posts

Back