Robobrew brewzilla

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmaguy41

Landlord.
Reaction score
Saw a video about this all in one system and I feel it would suit my needs perfectly for the price. However seems to be out of stock even on ore order everywhere I can see. Are any of the alternatives any good, seen a few others like the brew monk, hopcat, brewster beacon etc. I've heard they are all essentially the same unit. But would like to hear from people who have used them. I am also tempted to get the bigger version of one of these systems so that I can have the option of brewing a double batch. I sometimes brew with 2 friends and I like the idea of brewing 40+ litres of wort and giving them a batch to take away.

Thanks in advance

Considering the RoboBrew was copied from the Brew Monk, Hop Cat etc etc etc no difference in performance and there is a 70 litre version of the one with many monikers.
Called the Guten here.

Considering the RoboBrew was copied from the Brew Monk, Hop Cat etc etc etc no difference in performance and there is a 70 litre version of the one with many monikers.
Called the Guten here.

That's what I keep reading, was looking at the brewster beacon. Looks good to me. Do you know if the 70l version could be run off a regular outlet though. I've read some units need s heavy duty socket. I which case I'll just stick to the smaller version

That's what I keep reading, was looking at the brewster beacon. Looks good to me. Do you know if the 70l version could be run off a regular outlet though. I've read some units need s heavy duty socket. I which case I'll just stick to the smaller version
Our regular sockets are 10 amp, on the 50 and 70 litre both have 15 amp plugs, your 13 amp sockets should be fine, not really much need to run them at full power, my 40 litre I boil at 2000 watt and my 50 and 60 litre at 2,500 watt both within the 10 amp circuit.

Our regular sockets are 10 amp, on the 50 and 70 litre both have 15 amp plugs, your 13 amp sockets should be fine, not really much need to run them at full power, my 40 litre I boil at 2000 watt and my 50 and 60 litre at 2,500 watt both within the 10 amp circuit.
Ok the 70l says it has a 3kw element so I thought that would be a little much. The smaller unit may be enough for me in reality anyway, I'm not likely to want to do large batches very often I dont think. And I'm happy to do more brew days

I've been using a Robobrew for about a year. I find it works very well, and efficiencies are high. For the money it's excellent.
I have however moved to BIAB within the malt pipe, with the fine bottom screen removed. This way I find cleanup very easy indeed. also use bags for leaf hops, and sometimes also pellet hops. Again cleanup is easy that way. Don't bother with the hop spider, the mesh is so fine you struggle to get any flow through it if any protein gets in it.
Pump blockages are rare, and easily fixed by switching off the pump and carefully blowing backwards through the silicone pipe.
Pros: Excellent value for money, relatively simple, high efficiencies.
Cons: button handles for lid slightly weak fixing, tall re-circulation pipe prone to knocking if not careful, and then you can break the top bracket it's welded on with.

I'm not about to part with mine anytime soon.

Ok the 70l says it has a 3kw element so I thought that would be a little much. The smaller unit may be enough for me in reality anyway, I'm not likely to want to do large batches very often I dont think. And I'm happy to do more brew days
You will be OK with 3kw as it is max for a UK plugtop which operate on a 30/32 amp ring main and as @foxy says you won't run it at full power too long once its up to a boil.

You will be OK with 3kw as it is max for a UK plugtop which operate on a 30/32 amp ring main and as @foxy says you won't run it at full power too long once its up to a boil.
Hmmmm I'm torn now. I like the idea of having the flexibility of the larger unit, but I'm not sure if its worth the extra money and space it will take up to be able to do a few double brews a year.

It's an investment that will always be there doing what it should but with optional extras if you need. Maybe you have a great base beer and like different hop styles with it or hop types then you could have wider scope with a few Fermenters splitting a large batch into four.
Or maybe your torn between a bitter and a Stout, you could split that big batch removing the bitter and then adding some cold steeped grains for 10mins to change a beer completely round....

I've been using a Robobrew for about a year. I find it works very well, and efficiencies are high. For the money it's excellent.
I have however moved to BIAB within the malt pipe, with the fine bottom screen removed. This way I find cleanup very easy indeed. also use bags for leaf hops, and sometimes also pellet hops. Again cleanup is easy that way. Don't bother with the hop spider, the mesh is so fine you struggle to get any flow through it if any protein gets in it.
Pump blockages are rare, and easily fixed by switching off the pump and carefully blowing backwards through the silicone pipe.
Pros: Excellent value for money, relatively simple, high efficiencies.
Cons: button handles for lid slightly weak fixing, tall re-circulation pipe prone to knocking if not careful, and then you can break the top bracket it's welded on with.

I'm not about to part with mine anytime soon.

Interested to hear more about using the biab in the robobrew. I've just ordered one and I have a biab bag which I bought when I was thinking of going that route. How do you do it and how much simpler do you find it?
Thanks
Rick

Another con for the BrewZilla is the 3 feet, simple school boy physics weight on smaller areas. One lucky escape for this guy who was brewing with the unit on the floor when one of the feet pushed in the bottom of the unit, the feet aren't even located below a support strut.
thumbnail_IMG_2705 (1).jpg

Hmmm the brewster 40l is now out of stock so that may of made my decision for me haha. Does anyone run a 3kw element off a standard plug? Would it be worth getting a new socket fitted by an electrician?

A normal kettle is 3kw, so no worries. If you need an extension lead be wary though, as many are only 10A unfurled.

I've gone for the 70l brewster beacon. My mate is keen to do some double batches with me and with the smaller unit being out of stock to seemed like fate haha. Managed to order a custom mash kit to go with it aswell, hopefully it arrives in the not too distant future to keep me entertained

Just wondering if anyone knows how long the power chord is for these units? As it isnt safe to run off my extension chord.

Not very - about 1.5m

I run mine in the garage off a fully extended 30m 13a extension, never had any bother.
So it's more a case of getting a proper heavy duty extension chord? Forgive me I'm a noob with electrics just dont want to blow anything up

Latest posts

Back