Russian Imperial Stout - Small batch, split ageing methods.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
I want to brew up 2 gallons of Russian Imperial Stout and age it two different ways - one gallon on oak and cherries, the other with dry hops and coffee, for example. Any suggestions on your favourite russian imperial stouts? I'm pretty open to suggestions as it's gonna be one to put away and crack out when I wanna get the big guns out.

my next planned porter is gonna tribute me a coupla gallons of imperial stout so i'm in a similar position. i really don't like the sweet RIS, so i'm gonna chuck some brett dregs into one DJ to dry it out*. probably dryhop the hell outta the other DJ just for the comparism. definitely be cool to hear about your cherry stout.. :cheers:

* should say that this is based on delicious commercial examples..

My home brew store sells them, you can get them on eBay too.

Brett sounds good man. You can blend up to 3% sour beer into stouts too, or just use a little lactic acid with a high attenuating yeast.

Cherry and bourbon oak maybe? :)

You don't have to roast them, i'm lead to believe. I'll soak mine in bourbon and just add them that way.

Some recommend before the ferment, some say after. On the logic that most barrel aged beers are transferred to barrels AFTER fermenting in the big FV's, I'll add mine afterwards. I don't think it matters that much though.

Many thanks. I wonder if roasting half and soaking half might be an idea, so more variety of flavour.

When I eventually get round to making Russian Imperial I know I'll have to start off in 2 FVs, I'm thinking once vigorous fermentation has finished I'll siphon them both into a third clean FV. That might be a good time to add the oak chips.

Latest posts

Back