S30 valve - Leak or Pressure relief???!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliglynn

Reaction score
Took my barrel downstairs and into the garage to clear today, but when I got it there I noticed an air leak around the S30 valve on the top. The barrel is a youngs white barrel, with the youngs cap & S30 valve. The valve has a brown rubber ring around it below the threaded portion, and the leak was coming out from the bottom of that (and not from around the washer that seals the valve against the cap). I understand that disturbing the beer whilst moving it, and taking it to a cooler environment would both increase the differential pressure - question is, are these valves fitted with a safety pressure release under those brown rings or is the valve busted?

Here's a link to show the cap / valve
http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/containers/barrelsbarrels/2-cap-complete-with-s30-valve.html

The S30 valve does have a pressure release. I cannot remember what the pressure needs to be before if relieves the pressure but it does have one.

I suspect the problem you have is that the small rubber band that is used to ensure that you can inject gas through the hole in the thread but does not allow the CO2 to escape has perished. I managed to get a replacement from my LHBS a few years ago when the same thing happened to mine. I think I got charged the grant total of 50p. :D

So you might want to phone around and see if they have any spares.

Ok - only got the kit 3 months back! Pffft. Any idea where I could find an image of the cross section of the valve so I can try & what's happened before having to make the pilgrimage to the LHBS?

The brown ring on your S30 is your Pressure Relief Valve (PRV) it's the smaller greyish ring underneath the cap that is your 1-way valve.
The PRV normally off loads at about 12psi, but some times doesn't re-seat.
Gently squeeze the brown ring between your thumb and forefing and twist until it does re-seat.
You will loose pressure doing this.
If not, new rubbers are cheap enough!

OK thanks - that clears that up - must have shaken it up a bit too much while carrying it outside! Wasn't really sure how much pressure those barrels built up, but 12psi isn't too high a pressure (compared to the 120psi I put in my bike tyres!!) and it wouldn't surprise me if it reached that! I did squeeze the brown ring around a bit (oo-er) and that eventually stopped it. Will just have to wait and see how if it's pressurised in 2 weeks time when it's cleared for consumption!

Back