Safale S33

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed with this yeast on Thursday morning i have never used it before, got up this morning no airlock activity so i took a reading, og was 1050 reading today 1012, is this yeast always this quick, it also has a faint whiff of sulfer, grain used was pilsner it does taste ok, any feedback would be good like i say never used it before, cheers

I brewed with this yeast on Thursday morning i have never used it before, got up this morning no airlock activity so i took a reading, og was 1050 reading today 1012, is this yeast always this quick, it also has a faint whiff of sulfer, grain used was pilsner it does taste ok, any feedback would be good like i say never used it before, cheers

With proper temp control I would expect most yeasts to be done in 4 days. I get 12% wine through in 10 days. What's your normal?

Just so happens I have a fermentation trace for a beer about same strength and using S-33, and I only tracked it down a few days ago for another thread:

1715014839690.png

A little bit longer than 24 hours, maybe 36? Stopped pretty abruptly (did the trace really bounce?). But bang-on normal for S-33, though I wouldn't normally expect it to ferment out so far ... 1.018 would be more like it. But this recipe contained a far bit of sugar, about 12.5% of an emulated No.3 and No.4 Invert Sugar. It was trying out No. 4 Invert, and it took a bit of hunting down a recipe; No.4 was the roughest of the Invert Sugars, but seems Boddington were using it in 1901 in their "Stout". I should have viewed it with more suspicion as it was a Boddingtons brew: Weak, lousy depth of flavour, just naff, naff, naff (I thought that far back Boddingtons would be different ... I doubt it now!)

We're fortunate still having yeasts like this. I used it here in place of my first choice: A WYeast "Whibread" (#1099). Another dextrin-averse yeast (hence it stops so sharply with a fairly high gravity).

The recipe is here https://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2022/06/lets-brew-1901-boddington-stout.html. I don't recommend it though! My log book entry to prove I'm not making this up!

1715017005131.png

(1-1/2 packs of yeast 'cos they were past their "best before date"!). Vienna malt was used because Crisp stopped selling Mild Ale Malt and rebadged it "Vienna Malt" ... Charletans! Verdict: Naff, naff, naff. (But the yeast is good).

I've used S-33 for NEIPAs and it does rip through wort. Really under-appreciated strain.

Latest posts

Back